Author Topic: Adorama pushing Diana+ in their email  (Read 1997 times)

mediumformatphoto

Adorama pushing Diana+ in their email
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »
Just received the email ad from Adorama for their Christmas sales push. Surprised to see the Diana+ as a featured item...someone must be buying them for $50 a pop?

Here's the link to the camera if anyone's interested:

http://www.adorama.com/CZLDP.html?emailprice=t

R.J.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Adorama pushing Diana+ in their email
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »
Whoah! I feared that this type of marketing would rear its ugly head when I heard that the Lomography crew were going to re-launch the Diana. Mixed emotions about it, but to paraphrase something Susan says at one point on the next Filmwasters podcast, "If it's going to encourage people to buy more film then I'm all for it"?and anyway, it does look like it'll be a cool camera to use.

But back to the marketing; other than the stupidly inflated prices it's the Lomographic people's marketing schtick that has annoyed me from Day 1. Here are some (admittedly out of context - sorry Bill  ;)) excerpts from the advertising material for the Diana + that kind of annoy me:

• As we say day in and day out: Be fast.
  • To hold, point, and shoot a Diana camera implies a conscious decision to relinquish control.
  • With each click of the shutter, a moment is captured in a unique and fairly unpredictable way and a small narrative begins to reveal itself.

All of the above are of the "don't think?just shoot" variety and it's a school of thought completely at odds with the way I see toycamera photography. Sure, if you press 'Go' enough times with film loaded, you'll end up with one or two nice images, but if you stop and think for a second about what you're trying to achieve, what the camera is capable of, what the light's like etc. (you know, all the stuff you do when you use other cameras), then believe me, you'll end up with far more decent snaps. Every plastic lensed camera I've ever owned has had a few quirks that you quickly learn about and then use as part of the picture making process. You don't "relinquish control", it's not "fairly unpredictable" (at least not after the first few rolls). If you have anything about you as a photographer you'll pick up what a toycamera does well and what it doesn't do well and work with it on that basis.

• On top of that, you can count yourself as an individual note inthe Diana's illustrious history - which dates back to the better part of 40 years.

Nice. They're cashing in on an unlikely and totally unexpected cult success purely for the profit, but they want you to feel part of the story. Glad they care. What is this, a Jack Daniel's commercial?

• Diana shots are raw & gritty, with a character all their own. They simply cannot be duplicated by any other camera on Earth!

...so why are they trying?

It looks cool though  :)

[climbing down off his high horse and exiting the building]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:13:51 PM by ed.wenn »

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
Agree its the marketing smut  that annoys me,    whats so raw and gritty about a diana plus anyway?? 

the funniest  part is that bit you quoted

_Diana shots are raw & gritty, with a character all their own. They simply cannot be duplicated by any other camera on Earth!

...so go and buy a diana then and stop wasting your $$$ on lomo rip offs!!

-  the pinhole fucntion thing does indeed look kind of cool   i think i would prefer it if it didnt try to be a diana rip off,    i might even buy one...if i wasnt so obsecenly tight with money.

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:16:33 PM »
Marketing is an amazing thing though, you gotta admit!
It's not exclusive to Lomo.  I mean think of all the campaigns you have seen or watched that make your stomach turn because of the so-called "exclusivity factor" .
Tangeray Gin comes to mind, I mean you can't even drink or have a party unless a certain green bottle graces your  bar.

And how many people go around smelling like JLo, or David Beckham?!?

Yech, it only gets worse as I think about it.

However, on a lighter note, I have to say I do smirk at the Lomo ads too, but then smile because there is a need for being part of something that Lomo seems to have filled, or at least wants us to believe it has answers for.

And I'll have to agree with Susan, if it helps boost film sales as a by product, then I'm for it too.
But I'm still going to smirk about it.

astro--stepping down off her galactic soapbox   ;D

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »
Lomo's marketing tactics are quite heavy handed and sound like the PR people have been either taking massive amounts of psychotropic drugs and/or aromatherapy besides. It's beyond Zen. More like TM from the '70s. But Ms. B is right. If it means film will live on, I'm all for it.

I did pick up one of those puppies and am still putting it through its paces. The thing that really attracted me was the pinhole feature as well though I'd rather have a real cable release mechanism rather than the clumsy 'z' shaped piece of plastic that's used to hold the shutter down.

It appears to be solidly built, at least as solidly built as any of my other Dianas. My only complaint so far has been flare on the film from light bouncing around its glossily painted innards. I picked up some Testor's flat black model paint to see if i could dull the sheen, so to speak. I haven't really tried a roll since doing so. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:50:49 PM »
Before you bash it too hard, take a look at this comparison of the Original with the new 'knock-off'.
http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2007/09/it-hath-arriveeth-thee-diana-pluth.html

And of course, technical comparison are not worth a dime without some cold hard evidence- some photos from the new Diana+
http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2007/09/results-are-in-and-winner-is.html

Sure, they're $50, but the old ones can go for that much on eBay anyway... I happen to be of the opinion similar to Susan's... who cares if someone's making money off it. I think the point is, this will get more people buying and shooting film. Period.

-Jason

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:13:18 PM »
I must admit Lomo is a one of a kind. So are all monopolies.
I often feel the marketing kids who struck a bunch of exclusivity deals take their classes too seriously. And we're the bunch who has to suffer.

I'm lucky, in my part of the world, they remain largely unknown. I've yet to meet somebody roaming the streets with one of their cameras. So their marketing doesn't reach necessarily far and wide.

But if it helps keep film sales up, I'm all for that. If it could just help keep 120 color processing at a decent price (I last got suckered out of 13$ for processing only... and I'm still P*****)

And how many people go around smelling like JLo, or David Beckham?!?
At least they haven't got into perfumes yet!
Just imagine: "Expired Fixer by Lomography, a fragrance for men"
Well, it's just as bad as smelling like a Hummer or like Paul Sr. from Orange County Choppers!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.