Author Topic: Enlarging a negative for platinum printing  (Read 899 times)

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
Enlarging a negative for platinum printing
« on: October 08, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
My friends have requested to purchase a platinum print of one of my photos. The problem is, it's on a 4x5 negative, and I'd like to make an 8x10 print. I have a nice scan of the image, but the problem is, I don't have a really nice printer. Since I won't be doing this sort of thing often, I'd really just like to get a lab to print the enlarged negative for me, but I am having a heck of a time finding a lab that will print onto Pictorico or something similar. The only possibility I found was photofusion.org in the UK, but they have not responded to my inquiry.

So basically, does anyone know a lab that will print a negative for me? Preferably one in the USA? Or, any other suggestions?

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Re: Enlarging a negative for platinum printing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
There's a guy in Los Angeles, Joseph Rheaume, who teaches platinum printing at LA Center of Photography. You might be able to track him down via Google and see if he can make the print for you. Alternately, he has a class coming up in December.

https://lacphoto.org/events/the-alternative-processes-workshop-with-joseph-rheaume-2019/

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:44:29 PM »
Contacting someone else who does alternative processes via their website might be an idea. I still have some of the pictorico sheets from printing kalitypes, but I am located in Europe. Maybe also someone here on the forum is able to print the negative.
Not sure if you would consider a paper negative? This might be easier to get from a printer.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »
I remember while watching The art of photography a while ago that Ted visited some friends who run a lab in Arizona and who do platinum prints professionally for customers.
The place is called Hidden Light.
Here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8r6npcqTVE

I think you can also get a rebate with the following link
http://hiddenlightllc.com/aop
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:27:18 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

grit

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:17:33 PM »
Thanks Francois! I've contacted them.

grit

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 03:44:40 PM »
Update: I spoke on the phone with I believe Matt from Hidden Light - really nice guy. He convinced me to go the DIY route. He suggested I scan my negative without any adjustments to the scan, and then print the scanned image onto Pictorico (I will try to use the printer in my community darkroom for this); no curve adjustments needed since I'm just reprinting a negative. Apparently this has worked for other photographers. Currently waiting on a shipment of Pictorico. I will let you all know how it goes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 09:10:58 PM »
It's pretty good that he shared some tips.
From what I could get from the video, it does look like a nice shop.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.