Author Topic: Meeting in England in June?  (Read 3003 times)

cs1

• Self-Coat
Meeting in England in June?
« on: December 21, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »
I've contacted Ed this morning because the site was down (thanks for being so quick at fixing it, Ed) via his Flickr page. And I saw a few shots of a Filmwasters' meet and I started wondering: I'll be in England in the first two weeks of June next year (in the Peak District). I was wondering whether or not having a collective Filmwasters' outing / meeting at the June 8th/9th weekend would be in the realm of the possible? Since quite a lot of you are based in or around London, London would be a possibility. It'd be fantastic to meet you guys. :) Maybe we can exchange some ideas in this thread to maybe make a meeting possible? :)

Mike40

• 35mm
Re: Meeting in England in June?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
Hi
First, thanks for getting the site back up.

Weekend of June 8/9 in London sounds like an excellent idea-great opportunity to meet other filmwasters and also the perfect opportunity to get simultaneous “takes” on the same subject. Count me in, please.

Take care,
Mike.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:49:01 AM »
I'm up for this, especially in London.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »
Nice, that's already a crowd. :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »
If I happen to be in London at that time, count me in :D

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
Can't make any promises, but London is only an hour away, so will keep an eye on the date and maintain open options..!
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »
I'm in London so you can count me in for sure, hopefully there will be something going on which will be interesting to shoot.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »
I'm not too far from London so, if this is scheduled to happen, please count me and Mrs LD in.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »
Brilliant! Ferry and house are booked. I'm already looking forward to the trip. I'll be going from Sheffield to London by train and I'll stay there over night at a hotel.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »
Great.

If you're doing a photo walk in the Peak District, please let me know as I'll take any feasible opportunity to get back to my native "north" of England (I'm originally from just outside Manchester).

London will be busy that time of year (it's always busy but in summer it can be packed). Book an hotel early as they get very full, very quick. 

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm still figuring out my options. I'd like to stay over night so that there's a chance to have a pint with my fellow filmwasters in the evening. I'm a little nervous about finding reasonably priced accommodations.  Maybe AirBNB is an option.

Regarding the Peak District: Mrs. cs1 and I are planning to mainly do rock climbing and photo walks with the kids during our two week stay so we'd be more than happy to meet up and do a photo walk together with you. There're a number of places on our tick list like Wyming Brook or Three Shires Head that we haven't been to before (we've been to the Peak a number of times before).

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
No worries.  Enjoy the rock climbing (not something I'd ever fancy or would ever be good at) and we can catch up in London.

I've never used AirBnB.  It might be a useful option. 

Dependent upon budget, Premier Inns and Travelodge can be okay but I've never found "cheap" accommodation in London.  Another option that might be worth considering is to check the Tube map and see if you can find somewhere a short ride from the tourist hot-spots.  Main-line trains might be yet another option as you could stay somewhere like St Albans (Hertfordshire / north of London) and be only half an hour from the centre.

If you spot any bargains, I'm sure there'll be a few on here who can comment on the area and transport links.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »
Hey, so it turns out I will probably be on tour in the UK/Ireland in mid-June! I don't have any dates, cities, or venues yet (and probably won't until late May/early June), but I shall now be watching this thread with renewed interest :)

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 05:56:43 AM »
That's brilliant! Keep us posted!

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
June is drawing close. ;) Joking aside, I'd like to book a hotel soon. However, I don't have the faintest in which part of London. If possible, could you locals please point out a good area where we can meet and where I can find a reasonable hotel? That'd be brilliant. :)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 07:23:20 PM »
Sent you a message mate

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »
Cheers! :)

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »
Getting closer to the date, though the weather is hardly summery today....think the wind’s coming from the Baltic.

What’s the headcount on this now?

Really looking forward.

Ideas for meeting point and themes?

Take care,
Mike

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
Hi Mike! So far we have you, zapsnaps, Tony (Kentish Cob; not 100% but he sounds very willing :) ), Irv, Paul (Late Developer) + wife, and also Satish (Indofunk) if we get him a gig in London around that time. ;) So we're around 7-8 people.

As for the location/theme: I have no idea at all. Fortunately we have locals attending so any suggestions would be very welcome. :)

Apart from the above mentioned fellow Filmwasters, if you're interested in joining us, please feel free to post it in this thread. Cheers!

Mike40

• 35mm
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »
Looks good - quick off-the-top-of-my-head list of possible locations:Brick Lane
Whitechapel
Spitalfields
Leadenhall
Olympic site-Queen Elizabeth Park
Docklands
Pontoon Dock
Parks
Soho
Chinatown
Borough Market
Thames Riverside [from Old Design Museum (Zaha Hadid Archive) to Lambeth Bridge]
British Museum
South Kensington Museums
Tourists in Westminster (Trafalgar Sq / Whitehall / Abbey / etc.)
Oxford Street
City (Deserted Sunday)
Covent Garden
Little Venice
Tate Britain (Turners)
Tate Modern (Building)
Carnaby St & Newburgh District
Shoreditch
Camden Town
Barbican
Tower Bridge
Brewer Street
Petticoat Lane
Portobello Road
Piccadilly Circus
....or we could consider themes (Street / buildings / etc) ....doesn’t need to be too prescriptive.

Take care
Mike

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 11:56:16 PM »
I can probably do a London meetup but I'll know better closer to the time. In the meantime here's another suggestion.

Kew Gardens have an exhibit going on from now to October, glass artworks by Dale Chihuly

https://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/whats-on/chihuly-at-kew-reflections-on-nature

Remember his last exhibition at Kew in 2005, and that was pretty good.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
Very cool suggestions! I personally would really love the opportunity to walk through the city to take in the atmosphere and chat with as many of you as possible and have fun taking pictures while doing it. Apart from that I'm happy to follow you locals (almost) anywhere that you suggest. :)

BTW: Rachel from the Sunny 16 Podcast is very likely going to join us (I had a delightful email conversation with her and was so bold to extend an invitation for the 8th and since she'll be in town she said that she'll try to be there). She suggested to register the photowalk on https://www.photowalk.me/ I think that it's a brilliant idea and it's a nice opportunity to share the fun with others. If there're no objections I could register our walk.

So we "only" need to agree on a meeting point and a general theme / route / destination. :) Irv or any other locals: what'd be the best meeting point candidate? Considering the suggestions in the above posts (thanks Mike and AJ), what would be a good route? And is there a reasonable pub or cafe at the potential destination? :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 12:42:53 AM »
Turns out I'm not going to be on the June UK tour, so I'm going to have to miss out on this  :'( Maybe next year!