Author Topic: Expired Panatomic-X Test  (Read 1076 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Expired Panatomic-X Test
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:51:06 AM »
I just got done scanning test shots I made on some Kodak Panatomic-X bulk film I recently purchased.  I am amazed at how good this film is considering it's age.  The estate sale I got it at had a small dark room so maybe they knew what they were doing and cold stored this film for most of its life.  I ran the film through an Olympus OM-2n that I know has a good light meter.  I bracketed it at ISO 32, 25, 20, 16 and 12, those are the lowest ISO settings on the camera.  I developed the film in Rodinal 1:50 for 11 minutes at 20 degrees C.  Below shows the results of the test from ISO 32 to 16 plus full versions of two shots at ISO 32.  I think this film looks great at box speed, let me know what you think. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:30:49 PM by Bryan »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Expired Panatomic-X Test
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:57:22 AM »
This is a comparison of the above Panatomic-X cropped with the same shots on expired Tri-X that I got at the same sale.  Obviously the Pan-X is going to be much finer grain than the Tri-X, I'm just putting it there for comparison. 

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:30:26 AM »
Pan-X was always my favorite companion film to shoot alongside Kodachrome 25. I miss both, am grateful that I shot as much as I did (particularly pictures of the kids growing up) and wish I had shot more. Enjoy your "treasure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
When did it expire? 32 iso may not degrade that much over a few decades, but still cold storage would definitely have helped. It looks great. How many rolls did you get?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 06:30:30 PM »
When did it expire? 32 iso may not degrade that much over a few decades, but still cold storage would definitely have helped. It looks great. How many rolls did you get?

It's at least 30 years old since it was discontinued in 1987 but I have no date since it's in a bulk loader.  I don't know how much is left on the roll, it feels lighter than the bulk loader of Tri-X I got at the same sale.  The bulk loader is taped shut, since that may be due to light leaks I don't want to open it up, I'll just keep spooling it off until it's gone. 

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »
It's incredible how many bulk loaders must be floating around over there. I can't remember seeing a single one at any yard / garage sale I have been to over here. I can only imagine how cool this mystery film thing is. :) Thanks for sharing this experience, the results with the Panatomic-X look great.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
I don't know how much is left on the roll,
It can sometimes be quite surprising. I once got 8 rolls of 30 exposures of HP5 in one... that I got for something like 2$ :)
The fun thing is that when people think something is junk, they just let it go for next for nothing...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.