Author Topic: Winter Solstice  (Read 892 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Winter Solstice
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
Happy Winter Solstice everyone!

My driveway lines up with the Sun this time of year, so I marked the occasion with an instax mini loaned to me by a friend.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Winter Solstice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
You have a Stonehenge house! :D Nice shot, I love the solarization of the sol ;)

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:16:11 PM »
Happened at night here at 47.0 N and 122.8 W, local time 2:44 + 9 min AM
I'll mark the shadow on the side of the house at 12:09 for lowest sun elevation of the year and photograph the shadow. We have a rare sunny day in the Pacific NW.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »
Looks like the sun burned a hole in your film Becky.  My wife gets excited about the solstice because the days start getting longer.   

John, you're just South of me.  I'm at about 47.76 N and 122.22 W (Bothell).  You must be down around Olympia.  Definitely a nice sunny day today!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:08:38 PM »
Strangely, for me the solstice means it's time to change my toothbrush...  ::)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
Looks like the sun burned a hole in your film Becky.  My wife gets excited about the solstice because the days start getting longer.   

John, you're just South of me.  I'm at about 47.76 N and 122.22 W (Bothell).  You must be down around Olympia.  Definitely a nice sunny day today!
Right you are Bryan, right now just off Martin Way in Lacey (actually unincorporated Thurston county, the town limits run all crazy here). Just chalked a mark on the south facing wall at 12:09PM, suns lowest point this year at local noon. The time of year I use up most of my ISO 400 but also it is cold enough to get a bit of time in the bathroom/darkroom, summer is just too hot to set up.

This makes me wonder, how many other filmwasters in western Washington.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »
This makes me wonder, how many other filmwasters in western Washington.

There is one from Seattle but I haven't seen him on the Forum recently.  I know of a few in the Portland, Oregon area and I think there are a few in BC.  There could be more, not everyone gives up their location.