Author Topic: Filmwasters Podcast Online Now  (Read 4529 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Filmwasters Podcast Online Now
« on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »
The latest FW venture has finally come to fruitition after a few false starts and various delays for one reason or another. So, 2 months behind schedule I can finally announce that, yep, we've done a podcast. It's available to stream or download at:

http://filmwasters.com/podcast/

It's the first show, so it's a bit shaky, but it came out well enough for a starter episode. The idea is to run one of these monthly with a core of the FW founders guests and friends as and when it feels right. I'm a rabid consumer of online audio content and have long been looking for a jokey, informal, group-based photography podcast, but have yet to find one. It occurred to me that maybe I should start my own, so I mooted the idea at a FW group meeting (cough!) and it went down a storm  :) 

I don't want anyone to think that this is a case of us getting carried away with our own importance or anything; it's not. I'm a web geek as much as I am a camera geek and I like using FW as an excuse to do fun stuff online (like running a forum, setting up photo galleries and running a blog or two). Doing a podcast fits right into that range of activities and if nothing else it's a vehicle through which I'll be able to actually speak regularly to the other Filmwasters rather than just the usual round of emails.

At the moment you can't subscribe to the show via iTunes, but that may come later on if I can get over my Apple phobia. Also, for the record we prefer netcast to podcast, but it's a battle that's already been lost se we sold out and called it a podcast. Grrr :D :D

chricela

• Black and White Film Process
Re: Filmwasters Podcast Online Now
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:55:42 AM »
i love putting voices to everyone.  love the podcast!!!!!! keep it up :)

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:48:09 AM »
I love that Ed introduces Ailsa as being fresh from doing "whatever it is that editors do."  That may rate as an all time introduction.

As for Henry Wessell, I have been meaning to get a hold of tha one.  Always thought he had an off sort of vision, very dry and compelling.

Ed... You crack me up.  Everybody comes off well but you did a good job of transitioning back to point when Leon began belting out Peg O My Heart in his hearty baritone. 

And Susan, which page is Blue on again?  I think you said 92?

This was an interesting confection indeed.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »
Actually, I thought all I did was drag people off-topic, but thanks anyway  ;)

If I'd done a better job of chairing the chat we wouldn't have needed the edits and the little musical links, but you don't become Jonathan Dimbleby (insert talk show host of your choice) in 5 minutes... ;D

Also, I can see that the show will have an effect on my wallet; all sorts of book recommendations coming in as a result.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
yes great stuff indeed.     totally agree about book recommendations, i added a couple to my amazon wish list then on the verge of paying, got scared and didnt! 

this might get messy.

anyway top work people!

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
A very entertaining way to spend an hour on a Sunday morning!  Fun to hear Susan's "y'alls" next to Leon's deadpan Medwayman accent...

Ailsa's photos on that page are really, really grand too.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
If I'd done a better job of chairing the chat we wouldn't have needed the edits and the little musical links

I liked all the musical links!

Of course, the rest of the content was lucid, inspiring, intelligent and witty, too.  ::)

And as for the doing 'whatever it is that editors do', if anyone can enlighten me, please feel free, because despite 13 years in the magazine industry I'm still not sure myself...

Thanks to Ed for getting it off the ground - I had a blast!  :)

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »
Nice job everyone, thought it might be 10 minutes but no  55 minutes long , I just could not believe it but I enjoyed every minute.  Ed do expand on Susan's work some time soon maybe in a more structured way, she is a real inspiration.  Thanks for all the book reviews and recommendations, I am going through a book buying phase and will add some of these titles to my list.   Well done to Ed on holding the show together. 

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:17:32 AM »

And Susan, which page is Blue on again?  I think you said 92?

;D
page 151. :)

Ed---amazing job, really. I know you put a lot of time and hard work into the editing. You deserve a medal, but I think I'll just send you some film to waste. Thanks to the entire cast and crew--look forward to the next one.

And thanks Eddie... **Blushing**

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 10:37:47 AM »
Love it. Enjoyed it. When the next one?
Only gripe I have is that I was clicking on the links as they were talked about and when I got to Sussa's pick the page navgated away and stopped the podcast.
Great idea and much, much more interesting than Brook Jensen!

RandomHamster

• Beware the hamsters of doom.......er........
    • RandomHamster
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »
Fantastic, great to put voice to photo!  Perfect to listen to while surfing ebay for more cameras!!!
Looking forward to next one   ;D
Tracey - All my favorite things start with C... cameras, cheese, cider and chocolate!
http://randomhamster.my-expressions.com/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 03:08:23 PM »
Love it. Enjoyed it. When the next one?
Only gripe I have is that I was clicking on the links as they were talked about and when I got to Sussa's pick the page navgated away and stopped the podcast.
Great idea and much, much more interesting than Brook Jensen!

Andrea, sorry about the glitch with that link...my mistake. I've fixed it now. Really appreciate the feedback.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 04:19:52 PM »
No need for an apology Ed, just want this place to go places.

Ron

• Alt Photos
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed!  Ed, you were great  :)  Everyone was interesting and polished.  There were a couple times I was laughing almost out loud (I am at work in a cubicle environment).  A success to say the very least. Oh, and Ailsa, your photos are really cool!

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:14:43 AM »
I listened to this on my way to work yesterday (nearly walked into a few cars). Really enjoyable stuff. And very professionally put together - good skills Ed (and all).

This is going to cost me a fortune in photo books! Great recommendations.

Roll on the next one  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 11:08:22 PM »
Well done Ed.
Looking forward to the next one...

Leon, I wish you all the best for your studies. Usually, the first year is the toughest since they want to "clear out" the students who are slacking on the job. Once you get through it, the rest is usually easier.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:40:33 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »
Wow, pretty much my first listen to a photography podcast. Didnt realize what I was missing. I have always been interested in just looking at as many photos as possible, but now I am hooked on the back stories! Loved the opening riffs too. Was really cool to hear the voices from some of the people I have talked to online for the last few years also. Well done, looking forward to some more!!!

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »
I listened to this on the way home from work on Friday and got some funny looks from my fellow commuters when I started chuckling, then giggling, then laughing out loud. I REALLY enjoyed hearing about what everyone was doing. I'm eager to hear the next installment.

Janet