Author Topic: Camera fans or just fluff?  (Read 1808 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Camera fans or just fluff?
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »
Alright, I'm going to come clean here. I like hillbilly music. I like lots of different kinds of music, but bluegrass is probably in the top 5. So with that out of the way, I was noticing the header image on the web site of one of the groups I listen to and it features a very 'filmy' theme. There is a Brownie Junior Six-20 and what I think is a Zorki (!!) and what may or may not be real film photos (Ektachrome 5015 emulsion number on the border of one). So it got me wondering if people do this for the vintage look and feel it lends, or if they are really closet film shooters.

http://www.darinandbrookealdridge.com/

Anyone have other examples where film/cameras are incidentally featured on a non-photography, non-advertising site?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Camera fans or just fluff?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
I think they do it just for the sake of getting that vintage look.
Just take a look at http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/search?q=camera
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:09 PM »
They're wearing "vintage" clothes and playing "vintage" music, so they probably use old camera iconography to fit in with that vibe. I gotta say, the instahipstagramatic filters that print fake edge markings annoy me to no end.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:49 PM »
But just imagine how much simpler they are to use!
You only have to press about 50 buttons to get a polaroid from those apps when using the real thing you have to exert all your energy into pulling the small paper tab that sticks out of the camera  ;D

Just take a look at this for fun
! No longer available
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:54:34 PM »
But just imagine how much simpler they are to use!
You only have to press about 50 buttons to get a polaroid from those apps when using the real thing you have to exert all your energy into pulling the small paper tab that sticks out of the camera  ;D

... which then rips before you can get the photo out so oops, you just squeezed the emulsion over only half the shot, so quick, what do you do?! Keep trying to pull out the errant shot, all the while screwing it up even more (ok, this could possibly be a good effect) or tearing it in the camera, or open the back to extract it properly but then exposing all the rest of the shots in the pack? Or just leave it as-is, wait till you get home, open it in a dark bag, and hope that your fingers can figure out how to extract the torn exposure without exposing the rest? Meanwhile you are sans camera for the rest of the day :)

I can see why the kids prefer pressing a few buttons ;)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:56:25 PM »
Oh, and I made it through about half that video, but only because the girl was cute. Though if I was there IRL, I would have smacked her repeatedly, domestic abuse be damned. ADVANCE THE DAMN FILM! *smack* FOCUS! FOCUS! FOCUS! *smack smack smack* TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE *smack*  ::)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
You know, kids are spoiled by technology these days. Sad thing is they have no idea of everything that goes on in the background in order to get what they want.
They probably think that beans grow in a can, that only a machine can make a sweater.... Though it does lend a certain magical quality to things...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »
They probably think that beans grow in a can,

;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:37:49 PM »
James, this has nothing to do with film but if you like Hillbilly music (and rock) you'll get a kick out of this.

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »
Pfew... I though you were going to post a video by Rednex... And I'd be stuck with their stupid songs in my head for at least a week...
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 07:51:07 PM »
James, this has nothing to do with film but if you like Hillbilly music (and rock) you'll get a kick out of this.

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc

Nice!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger