Author Topic: Back in the USSR  (Read 2737 times)

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
Back in the USSR
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
So, somewhat randomly I found myself in Kiev, Ukraine a few weeks ago ... having not slept for three nights, on heavy duty Russian antibiotics, and about to willingly drive (in a Lada!) into the radioactive Exclusion Zone around Chernobyl and the abandoned city of Pripyat. Life can be funny like that sometimes.

More pics on my blog, link in my sig below.

[attachment deleted by admin]

astrobeck

Re: Back in the USSR
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:34:59 PM »
that second one is amazing!!!!

So much drama and story to tell here.

MORE!

Oh, I'm going to your blog.

I really, really like this.  How did you happen to find yourself here?

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:37:18 AM »
All three are excellent.  But I most like the third one actually.  Will make beautiful prints.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:54:32 AM »
Thanks Beck. I was there quite accidentally really - I was looking for information about something else entirely and heard about a Cold War research group going, and looking for a fourth person to make up the party. It seemed like such a bizarre thing to do, and also not the kind of opportunity that arises every day, that I was compelled to sign up...

Oh, I don't know if it's clear from the photo, but that gasmask was tiny - obviously for a very young child, which makes it a bit creepier.

Cheers Gordon! Praise from Caesar indeed.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
Amazing stuff, I love them all but the third one really speaks to me. Brilliant.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:40:51 PM »
David, is it true that the authorities tell the people who visit Chernobyl to drink plenty of Vodka?

I specially like the abandoned room with the branches growing through the window. Life still goes on even if the radiation can kill.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:16:17 PM »
Ta very much Janet.

Francois - no (although drinking lots of vodka happens all the time anyway in Ukraine!), but there is a story that people who were exposed to radiation in the original accident were given red wine as the best way to rid the body of radionuclides.

Oh, and those branches were coming from the large potted plant in the room - not watered since 1986 and very much dead!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 03:45:21 AM »
Amazing work here David. I spent an age at your site, going over each one in detail. To me, I see the art in your work, and as an explorer the fascination with Pripyat. I put Pripyat with Gunkanjima on my list of places to visit, and have seen plenty of work from both. Yours here is of course excellent.

I might have missed it, but care to share some minor technical details about your equipment, film and process? Completely optional of course... Thanks! Skorj.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
Skorj - no problem - Mamiya 6, mostly with the 50mm lens, on Fuji Neopan 400 and Acros.  Mostly the 400, as it was really dark for the most part and there was no time for a tripod...

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 06:08:02 PM »
david - simply sunning.  really nice shots with excellent points of reference in them - the picture on the flat wall, the gas mask - great.
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:02:14 PM »
Thanks Leon, much appreciated.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »
Excellent stuff indeed. I've fancied going on a trip to that area ever since I read the last Martin Cruz Smith novel, Wolves Eat Dogs. Your photos are a wonderful reminder of the time I spent reading it. I'll get straight onto your blog and catch up on the rest of the words and photos.

Great post.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 11:16:09 PM »
Cheers Ed.  I'll be sure to check out that book.

And I'd certainly be happy to get any visitors to the blog as (aside from the ever-faithful Susan B.) it's been dying on its arse recently!