Author Topic: Old Yashica Electro 35GT  (Read 2077 times)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Old Yashica Electro 35GT
« on: October 05, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
Hullo all,

Just bought an Electro 35GT (sounds like an old American car!) on eBay for some extra filmwastage.

Anyone got one?  Are they any good?

Look quite sexy in black!  Is it a REAL rangefinder?

All these questions, when really I should be down at the pub, meditating about my embrionic photography project!

Cheers!
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Old Yashica Electro 35GT
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »
Check out
http://www.yashica-guy.com/
for all the answers to all your questions about it.

This guy is truly unbelievable... a real goldmine of Yashica rangefinder related information!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 07:51:05 PM »
As far as vintage range finders go in the 35mm world, I personally think they are the best.
Lots of bang for the buck, and you should be thrilled with getting great glass for cheap!!

I totally love mine!!!!!!   :)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 03:48:09 AM »
A great little machine! Congratulations. A real RF for sure, and a good one at that. More on Japanese RFs right here too:

http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=770.0

Thanks! Skj.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »
Yeah, they rock. Awesome glass and really fast too. I have the very similar Electro GSN and I love it...oh yes I do. As for it being a 'real' rangefinder......erm, yeah. Very real. Well done.

:)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
sorry to hijack the thread, but Becky ... did you get the lens on yours sorted out?
L.

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:06 PM »
sorry to hijack the thread, but Becky ... did you get the lens on yours sorted out?

No Leon, thanks for remembering.   I just decided to keep it as is, fungus and all.
Surprisingly,  daytime shots do not show the fungus affecting the picture quality at all.
However,  long nighttime exposures make images of nebulae where none exist!  The effect is interesting--think of snow falling in the dark, and you'll have an idea.

The famous Mr. Hama told me he could repair and clean it for 80$, but 80$ will go a long way toward films and I do have a backup GSN now.

After I return from my photo gig in Texas, I'll try to post a few photos from it.