Author Topic: COLLABORATION 11 DREAMS IS LIVE!  (Read 3057 times)

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
COLLABORATION 11 DREAMS IS LIVE!
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:42:46 AM »
http://www.filmwasters.com/collaborations/v/collaboration11/
Check it out.

Thanks to Karl Chapman for his hard work in organizing!

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: COLLABORATION 11 DREAMS IS LIVE!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:37:22 AM »
like i said, looks great!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 06:22:39 AM »
It's interesting to see how each poem selected might have been a true reflection of ourselves rather than picking a poem to go with a image. I think I said that right. Maybe not. Nonetheless, these are all very nicely taken and obviously some thought went into it and that was the whole idea. I actually thought submissions were going to top previous galleries...hmm. It's hard to pick a favorite as they all appeal to me best. However, in Skj's picture, the glare above the trees on the right certainly acts as this enchanting angel described in his poem. I thought that was neat. I applaud Susan as I imagine it took some effort to cut and paste each poem and info, etc. And to Karl for even suggesting such a grand idea..and Susan. Glad to be a part of it...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 06:55:04 AM »
Twas a difficult one this but  think they are all lovely. My pick is Susan's.

I spent ages doing paper negs and also shooting on the beach with a chum but could not get inspired with results to submit. Sorry.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:08:07 AM »
Thanks to Karl and Susan for all the hard work on this collaboration. I enjoy the unique interpretation each artist brought to their chosen poem.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »
Really enjoyed browsing the images, some beautiful creative work on display. 

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
Well done everyone. The gallery looks great. Thanks to Susan for doing all of the legwork to get the gallery online (believe me, it took a long time) and to Karl for bringing the idea to Filmwasters; this was definitely something we're proud to have been a part of.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:38:18 PM »
Wow, it looks great. Well done everyone, I loved reading all the choices and interpretations.

Janet

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 04:30:23 PM »
thanks for the thanks everyone. What a great set of images and poems. I (and National Poetry Day) would love to get feedback from poeple about how they found the process - those who submitted images and those who planned to but didn't. I take Beck's point about the poems reflecting a bit of ourselves - I think Walker Evans said something about photos doing the same thing!

Did anyone else find it hard? I did. It was a different way of working and it was quite hard to be satisfied with an image that was reflecting someone elses thought/idea. I had a few ideas that were working on the Yeats poem He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven but they all looked very weak compared to the poem. I also found my first foray into low light photogprahy a disaster! I was pleased with my final effort though.

A good challenge?  I thought we'd get more submissions than we did but the ones that are there are superb.

Next years theme is 'Work' if your up for it again! Thanks to all who submitted and those who tried and of course to Susan for the the hard work of uploading it all.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 10:02:34 PM »
Karl - my artistic practice is completely driven by process rather than concept, so this collaboration was way outside my comfort zone. Having said that, I liked the challenge and looked at a number of poems, and had a couple by John Donne picked out before I settled on the Edgar Allen Poe. Over all the experience has me thinking about pursuing a body of work that matches photographs to poems, I think the contributions to this collaboration are a good illustration of the power of pairing the two. I agree that it is difficult to achieve images that have the strength of the poem. - Paul

astrobeck

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:02:28 PM »
Gorgeous interpretations.
Can't pick a favorite this time!

Very inspiring work!

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 03:21:48 AM »
Must say that they are very strong.  As for image + poetry, I do think Susan's works really well.  Straight up imagery I have to shout out both Ed and Ed - and in that order.  I liked a few more really well but then after I say all that then I would have like three left over that I didn't care for so much and then I would go from being all nice to being a blustery prig then wouldn't I?
My chopstick is really a love poem.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 04:14:36 AM »
Must say that they are very strong.  As for image + poetry, I do think Susan's works really well.  Straight up imagery I have to shout out both Ed and Ed - and in that order.  I liked a few more really well but then after I say all that then I would have like three left over that I didn't care for so much and then I would go from being all nice to being a blustery prig then wouldn't I?

Ha!

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »
Karl, I was trying that Yeats poem too, hence the questions about cyanotypes last week. It was a tough theme, which is why I wimped out...