Author Topic: Please Someone Suggest a New Color Reversal Film?  (Read 2218 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Please Someone Suggest a New Color Reversal Film?
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:58:46 AM »
I need a new reversal film type. I have a job coming up in a few weeks, and want to shoot film only - smooth, well balanced, with not too much grainy film type effects (flat and dull perhaps could be used to describe it). Mainstream magazine requirements; so nothing too bold, grainy, no pushing, pulling, x-pro, or otherwise offensive attributes. But still perhaps obviously film.

I know, I could use digital, but where's the challenge in that?

Not like this (FujiPro 400 pulled one stop):

More like this:

I am normally a Fuji-type person, so maybe Pro 160NC, or what about some of the Kodak NC range? The job will be inside under lights (as per above) and I would prefer of course not to use a flash. Any tips and examples would be most welcome! Arigato. Skj.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:39:32 AM by Skorj »

kman627

Re: Please Someone Suggest a New Color Reversal Film?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
Have you considered a Tungsten balanced film?  Fuji 160T works beautifully, but is a little slow.  If you want faster speed Provia 400X is excellent, low grain, excellent color and contrast.  For negative films, I've had good experience with 160S and 160C.  The C has a little better contrast.  160S scans really well.   

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:43:22 PM »
If you can deal with the speed the Fuji Provia 100 is fab. I also use the 160C and 160S both great but yes the C has a little more zing!

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »
Provia, 160s or 160c---can't go wrong with any of those. You may want to pick 160S over C for a job like this. Neutral might be smarter than having the extra punch in lighting conditions such as these.

Kodak color film---I've used them all and tend to prefer Fuji

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:28:47 AM »
Thanks. Sounds like the Provia 160S or C would be a great start; thanks!

Do you have any examples from Provia 400X though? The grain attributes are described as nice, but the high contrast might push me into the too dramatic domain:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/film/reversal/index.html

Maybe I need to trawl the masses for Provia 400X tagged stuff on Fickle. Arigato... 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:41:47 AM by Skorj »

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
So I guess you have a good lab for jobs like these?

I have heard landscape photographers really brag on the range of NPS for holding down contrasty situations. 

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:27 AM »
I wouldn't recommend  reversal on a job like this. You'll have colour balance and contrast issues and potentially areas of  low lighting. Stay with color neg. It's much more forgiving, especially with the tonal range in the shadows. I suggest hi speed (400) low contrast low saturation film, like maybe one designed for weddings and skin tones could be good.

Oh, and I do like Kodak NC too