Author Topic: Julius Shulman: Life through the lens.  (Read 1910 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Julius Shulman: Life through the lens.
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
Julius Shulman: Life through the lens.

In this October's edition of Dwell Magazine, they have a 16 page interview with the great architectural photographer. There are plenty of original photos included. In the interview, he talks about how he became a photographer, how he works and composes his shots, how being a Boy Scout helped him become a better photographer and tons of very interesting tidbits of information.

Well worth the read. They also have a short video of Shulman in action at the magazine's website (http://dwell.com). At 96 years old, he's still going at it strong! Still as much in demand as ever. Still working at photo shoots, giving lectures, preparing books...

And just to give a sense of the importance of his photos in the world, they say:
If buildings were people, those in Julius Shulman's photographs would be Grace Kelly: classically elegant, intriguingly remote.

Just to give you an idea, in the last 70 years, he shot 7,000 photography sessions, producing 70,000 negatives. His archive is managed by the Getty Museum.

Well worth picking up the issue. (and yes, I am a fan :) )
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ron

• Alt Photos
Re: Julius Shulman: Life through the lens.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »
thanks for sharing this! 

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:21:48 AM »
I'm a fan too. Think I mentioned here before that I saw him lecture in London a few years ago. I think he was 91 at the time - a spring chicken!! This feature sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »
You're welcome!

He truly is amazing. It's funny to see the inside of his house. What a mess! (actually, it's more like day to day clutter) You don't expect this in a modern house. But I guess at 96, we can't blame him for living surrounded by all those things he loves :) Tons of old pictures on the wall, banners from previous exhibits and stuff galore.

But the garden... wow! tons of great photo ops just in there.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.