Author Topic: Arghhh! Save me!  (Read 3728 times)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Arghhh! Save me!
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:15:11 PM »
Just come back from the local photo club and I'm overcome. With boredom mainly but also amazed that I actually went again.

We all sit around, have a cup of tea and gossip about the caravans that have appeared in our village. Then we look at some photees taken by us the members which are then arbitarilly marked by random people - on such things as sharpness, colours and what have you. Never heard anyone mention emotion or feelings about an image - which doesn't actually suprise me since we were looking at digi saturated snaps of birds and flowers in the main. Well executed stuff but so very ordinary. I'm not sure what I expect at such a club but it wasn't very inspiring. I'm not trying to say that my snaps are any better but at least I do try to make images that say something or make one feel something. I spent the afternoon leaping in and out of bed, getting undressed then dressed again after taking a long exposure picture on a paper 5x7 neg [don't we all?]. It was fun, I learnt something and I think I may have a neg I can print and may, just may convey something to someone. Somehow i didn't feel I could have brought this up at the photee club.

OK, rant over. Are all clubs so very boring as this? If so, it is no wonder people migrate to sites such as this for inspiration and feedback.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Arghhh! Save me!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, all the clubs in my region are boring (except one).

Yes, all the pictures shown are the ultra tack sharp type. Mood is not considered.
I never became a member of any one of them. Instead, I make them believe I might be interested in joining so I can attend one of their meetings for free. I like to choose a date where I know they have a judging night. Since most of them have a website with the calendar posted, it's easy to choose. If I can, I also try to attend prior to this one of their expositions (usually in the Spring). That tells me the level of photography in the group. By attending, I can see the dynamics of the group... probably the most important thing.

Just to give you an idea, in a neighboring city, I went to their club's meeting to observe. They use a points based system. They have voting sheets with criteria listed on them. They grade every picture shown based on this very strict list. One of their members, which happens to be their top scoring member for the last 5 years was talking about his picture: "I was on vacation at the sea with my Airstream when I saw there was dew. I rushed to get my Hasselblad with its digital back and shot a picture of this spider repairing its web in the raising sunlight." I should say that he also happens to be a Doctor! On the other hand, one of the members when talking about his picture said something like :"I was camping at the mountain. When I heard the storm coming, I rushed out of my tent and snapped a picture of the incoming rain." he had shot the photo on slide film. You could see the lightning and a bird flying through the bad weather. The comment he got: "Well, there's a big speck of dust on the slide (pointing at the bird) and you rewound your film too fast, there's a static discharge near the top (pointing at the lightning)... That's how they worked.

Another club in another town tends to give honorable mentions to the members who are p****d off and say they will leave...

In my own town, the guy who does Ciba prints is the best...

The only club I know of that is different (though I never attended) is the one from one of the big universities. They have no contest, no judging, no nothing. People get together to talk about their projects, ask for tips and drink coffee together. They put together an exhibit once a year but there's no competition involved and no theme. They show whatever they want. This is probably the best formula out there.

Clubs should be a social network first. We have enough angry people who criticize our work every day at the office, we shouldn't be looking for the same thing at night!

I should say that most of the clubs I know of are in financial difficulty! (no wonder)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:35:00 AM »
i was thinking about joining the Phoenix Camera Club http://www.phoenixcameraclub.org/ but it all looks so boring! the usual pretty color high-def southwest shots.  it almost more about craft than art, i think. it's all so yawnsville. heck, i post to all the arizona groups on flickr, and i think i am the *only* person in the groups that uses "different" cameras. i know of a couple other guys locally that use polaroids, holgas, etc...but it's 90 percent digital, 9.9 percent film, .1 percent all else. owell. i'd rather take a photo class, i think, even though i've already taken a couple years worth in college. one of the community colleges here has an alternative photography class...cyanotypes, polaroid, pinhole, etc, that might be interesting.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
Francois

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:11:34 PM »
Pima Community College used to have a great alt process program going.  Is Ann Simmons-Meyers still teaching out of there?
My chopstick is really a love poem.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:18:24 PM »
This is not exclusive to camera clubs.

An astronomy club in my past did a similar thing, sat around and talked the night away about observing and didn't  go outside to even glance upwards.   :'(   
It was nauseating to say the very least.  Needless to say I did not hang around that group very long.

Thank goodness for Mavericks such as us!!!!
 :)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:04:48 PM »
there's a photoclub here, but i've been sort of scared to investigate it much(part of this is a fear that i won't be able to follow what's going on due to my chinese just not being up to snuff). they put out a little magazine(i've seen a copy which for the most part didn't do much for me). apparently they hire a model once a month or so so they can all take pictures of her.

the closest i've been to a photo club experience is the flickr meetups that have recently started up here in tainan. we usually meet somewhere sit around and talk for a few hours and then go out and shoot together. the first three have been great. at first i was worried these would be mainly digital people, but to my surprise there are more film cameras showing up than digital. of course i'm the biggest geek with all my toy and vintage cameras. but no one looks down on them, in fact nearly everyone has been fascinated by them. it's because of these people that i started developing my own film. they let me know where to get the supplies.

andrea's experience reminds me of something a photography teacher once told our class. "if you want to win competitions take pictures of flowers, sunsets and kids..." sounds like the photo clubs have similiar ideals. :(

william

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:36:08 PM »
Pima Community College used to have a great alt process program going.  Is Ann Simmons-Meyers still teaching out of there?

not sure! it's not part of the maricopa county community colleges...it's its own entity. i'm getting my RN at phoenix college, which is part of maricopa, and that's where the alt photo class is.
                                                                  - John Waters

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 07:46:18 AM »
i have been tempted but never dared.    i guess they have same reputation the world over,   over here the joke is the obesession about wonky horizons.

i have a friend who joined a club (digital) and its funny whenever we talk we always come back to the merits of the the club scene, he loves it, but it does seem to be all about sharpness, colour and so on and not at all about creating anything artistic.   horses for courses though i guess,  if photogrpahy was all about the technical competance of an image i would never enjoy it, and to the same extent if none of that ever came into it the club scene would never enjoy it.   reckon it might be due to the way photography straddles the border between a sort of science and art,  it gets the science geeks and the art geeks!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »
Gosh, I'm glad i'm not alone or that it is just an 'island thing'.
I called in on the main man at the photee club who lives in the same village and put some ideas to him about livening things up a bit. To be fair he was open to ideas but I did get the impression nothing is going to happen since I would need to put this forward at the AGM. Ah well, you can only but try.
Thank goodness for Filmwasters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
careful andrea .... your cards will be marked as one of those modern progressive types. How will that fit into island life?  If you see them starting to build a huge hollow man out of twigs and sticks, be afraid, be very afraid.

;D 
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 12:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up Leon. I shall keep my eyes open be assured ;D

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »
kinda coincidental...i'm reading 'alfred steiglitz' camera notes' book now and it talks about his eventual disgust with camera clubs and the lack of creativity and how he gave up on them. and this was 1897-1903. so i guess it nothing really changes.
beautiful book, i recommend it...
sean
                                                                  - John Waters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »
another from a similar era is one of my heroes, PH Emerson http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/emerson/ who, although not specifically about camera clubs, had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about it all
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
careful andrea .... your cards will be marked as one of those modern progressive types. How will that fit into island life?  If you see them starting to build a huge hollow man out of twigs and sticks, be afraid, be very afraid.

;D 

If that ever happens, you're bound to see a big sign saying "Welcome to Nevada"
... though I guess you're not a fan of the Burning Man
Francois

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 12:59:52 AM »
I would never want to be part of any club that would have me as a member!
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens