Author Topic: First attempt at stand dev  (Read 1476 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
First attempt at stand dev
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
My first attempt at stand development was triggered by an accident. The story goes like this: My Yashica Mat 124 had been sitting on a shelf for the best part of a year when last weekend I decided to give it an airing. I was dead certain that the camera was empty so I opened up the back.........what is that white thing???.......sh.., it's a film!!! I slammed the back shut as fast as I could to save at least some frames (in the end I lost 3 whole frames). The camera was set at 50 ISO so I finished the roll with the same setting. Knowing that some of the film would be ruined I decided to try stand development on this roll.
I mixed 500ml of tap water (18 C) with 3,5ml of Adox Adonal (same as Rodinal), did 12 consecutive inversions, hit the tank a few times on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles and then let it rest for 70 minutes. Then did a stop bath with tap water for 1 minute, and fixed it with Ilford Rapid fix for 4-5 minutes. Washed it with running water for half an hour and finally added 3 drops of Photo Flo for one minute.
As you can see from the first two shots it wasn't all too bad. I have not adjusted the contrast, only highlights and shadows. So what happened to the third? There were two shots like that on the roll, those were the ones I had shot before opening the back. Alle the ones shot after opening the back looked ok. At first I thought it might be water marks, but why just those two?
Anyway I will give stand dev another try. Next time I think I will pre-soak it in tap water for 5 minutes before I start. I cannot see any streaking (bromide drag), that's one of the things I feared. Next up will probably be an Ilford Delta 100.

Yashica Mat 124 / Ilford Pan-F 50
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: First attempt at stand dev
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:27:06 PM »
Oh my! It was a massive grain storm!

Probably was underexposed and the extended development brought it out while increasing the grain... possibly
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
That's what it looks like to me as well, probably photographer's error.  :-[
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
On the other hand, you could just add a light sepia tone and it would look like it was taken in the 1880's ;)
Francois

Terry

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »
I like the grain in that last shot

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
I must admit that it's one of a kind :)
Francois

everydaylanre

• 35mm
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »
I really like the first two shots! 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 01:33:07 AM »
I really like the first two shots!

Whassa matter? Don't like the GRAAAAIIINNNNNNN in the third one?? ;D ;D ;D

Now that makes me picture a bunch of filmwasters zombies shuffling around with rolls of Tri-X and HP5 saying "GRAAAIINNNNSSS ....... GRAAAINNNSSS ..... " ;D

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
Thanks L.A.! Well, that grain is really insane (and I'm a poet....), some of it is larger than the rocks in that moraine! It reminds me of a 19th century glass plate negative salvaged from the bottom of a pile of rubble. I don't mind a bit of grain as long as it stays where I want it to be  ::), but a sky full of hailstones is a bit beyond my imagination.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
Whassa matter? Don't like the GRAAAAIIINNNNNNN in the third one?? ;D ;D ;D

Now that makes me picture a bunch of filmwasters zombies shuffling around with rolls of Tri-X and HP5 saying "GRAAAIINNNNSSS ....... GRAAAINNNSSS ..... " ;D
I heard I was doing that at the last full lunar eclipse but sadly can't remember any of it...  :o ::) ;D ;D
Francois