Author Topic: New Movie by Wim Wenders about Sebastiao Salgado  (Read 2079 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Re: New Movie by Wim Wenders about Sebastiao Salgado
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
I've seen Salgados "Genesis" movie on a big cinema screen and I was overwelmed by emotions. A huge statement for peace and humanity and the beauty of our planet of a photographer who fell into despair and was healed finally. So does the audience watching the movie.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:09:16 PM by imagesfrugales »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
Lara and I have just returned from having seen "Salt of the Earth" at the Curzon in Bloomsbury.  It was absolutely stunning.  It commenced with a walk through of his early life as a farmer's son who got an education and went off to be an economist but, by a circuitous route, ended up giving up that career and starting from scratch as a photographer and, subsequently, social documentarist.

I haven't seen a more powerful film about not just a brave photographer but about how man treats man.  "McCullin" is an incredibly strong movie but this, in my opinion, is epic. 

Do whatever you need to do but I can't recommend too highly that we should all see "Salt of the Earth". Incidentally, whilst he makes various appearances with a DSLR, only the photos from the end of his Genesis project were actually shot in digital.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »
Paul, thanks for the thoughtful review. It sounds like a really strong movie and one which I will aboslutely make a point of trying to watch. I don't get out to the cinema much (read "virtually ever" despite it being one of the things I love most), so I'll have to look out for this to arrive on Blinkbox/Netflix/Amazon etc. and then watch it that way.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:44:56 PM »
Paul, thanks for the thoughtful review. It sounds like a really strong movie and one which I will aboslutely make a point of trying to watch. I don't get out to the cinema much (read "virtually ever" despite it being one of the things I love most), so I'll have to look out for this to arrive on Blinkbox/Netflix/Amazon etc. and then watch it that way.

Hi Ed.  If you go onto Curzon Cinema's website, you can pay to stream the movie.  I think it's about £8 or £10 which is a lot cheaper than going to the cinema.  Anyhoo, you won't be disappointed whichever way you get to see it.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
I've watched this movie too and I find it a brilliant portrait of the man and the mind behind some stunning and powerful photographs. Cannot recommend it enough.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
If you can't get to see it, Amazon is taking pre-orders as the film is released on DVD and BluRay in early September (at least in the UK).

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »

It's on Google Play for $4 USD. I just saw it listed over the weekend but haven't had a chance to watch it.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
I recieved a tweet from the Photographers gallery, to say the have a Salgado exhibition in the autumn

http://www.thephotographersgallery.org.uk/print-sales-gallery-sebasti-o-salgado

Should be worth a trip if your in the central London area