Author Topic: 35mm SLR with automatic AND manual exposure modes  (Read 5116 times)

everydaylanre

• 35mm
    • Instagram
35mm SLR with automatic AND manual exposure modes
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:20:55 AM »
I currently have a Pentax ME-Super, which as you know is an aperture priority camera.  It also has a manual mode, but the camera has these hard to press small buttons to change shutter.  I like when cameras have a shutter dial, preferably located right on the top next to film advance lever!

Can you let me know if there are any other 35mm SLR options for me that have automatic AND manual exposure modes?  Aperture priority and fully auto would be ideal (but either or is acceptable), and I would prefer for the shutter dial to be the on top.  I am also looking for an this SLR to have a  built in light meter that works in BOTH auto and manual mode.  I have an Olympus 35 RC rangefinder, and it's light meter only works in auto, which is not ideal for me.  Anyways, this post is about SLR's specifically.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:57:46 AM by lanolan »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: 35mm SLR with automatic AND manual exposure modes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 01:39:31 AM »
I'm sure there are plenty of options. The only one I have first-hand knowledge of is the Pentax SFX/SF1, which is M/AP/SP/P, plus a bunch of other stuff. Not the most intuitive to use (early electronic controls), but I've owned mine for 25 years, so I'm fairly used to it. Can be had for pennies, plus you can use your K-mount lenses.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:23:03 AM »
As a long time Contax user I have to wave the Contax flag here.

139 - aperture priority and full manual
159 - Aperture / shutter priority, 3 x program modes and full manual
137MA (not MD) - Aperture priority and full manual
Aria, ST, RX, RXII, RTSIII, AX - Everything you could  possibly want

The 139 is the nearest equivalent to the ME Super and I have several available if you want one. www.contax139.info

Contax 139 by Peter Robinson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:39:23 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
Nikon F4 / F5.  Loads available in very good order and quite reasonable prices plus loads of readily available and excellent / reasonably priced glass.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
I had a Contax 167 briefly and it had a lens that can only be described as EXCELLENT.  But as a Pentax user myself I'd suggest an MZ-5n.

It has all sorts of exposure controls and the bodies are cheap as chips - especially if you see one advertised as "flash won't stay up".  That was a common fault, but meaningless to me since I'd never use a pop-up, and that's why I have two.   I have the bad habit of boasting about carrying a £600 Limited lens on a £10 body.

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/film_MZ-ZX/mzzx5n.html

Or an MZ-S, if you can afford one.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »
I had a Contax 167 briefly  and it had a lens that can only be described as EXCELLENT.

Forgot the 167. Only owned one for a few days. That was too long.

That is the benefit of the Contaxes - you can use Zeiss glass.

Of course, there's also a number of Yashicas...
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
And on the Nikon front there are plenty. Anything from the autofocus days has it. That means F-601 F-801 F-50 F-80 F-90 F-100 F-4 F-5 F-6
I think the Nikon FE also has an aperture priority mode
I also have a minolta x-370 this has an auto mode (aperture priority).
Minolta Maxxums all have an auto mode.
Canon T-90 also has it from memory, so does the EOS series.

But for me, the simplest is still the Nikons. When you take the lens out of the smallest aperture, they automatically go from program to aperture priority and feature a full manual mode that is easy to use contrary to the Maxxums and EOS which lack the aperture ring...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
The Canon A-1, shutter and aperture priority, as well as program and manual mode. FD glass is both good, plentiful and cheap.

I very much like the Canon EF, the black beauty. It is either shutter priority or manual. But with a bit of practice you can simulate aperture priority, which is also my prefered mode. It has the overhanging shutter speed dial which makes changing speeds easy with camera to the eye. 
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
I had a Contax 167 briefly  and it had a lens that can only be described as EXCELLENT.

Forgot the 167. Only owned one for a few days. That was too long.

Was it such a dud compared with the 139?  Mine only cost £10 in a charity shop and the one roll I used turned out fine.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
I think the Nikon FE also has an aperture priority mode
I can confirm that the Nikon FE fits the bill. It's one of my favourite Nikons and can be had quite reasonably these days. But if you have Pentax lenses already then it would make sense to go for a Pentax with these features. Otherwise I have to support Peter regarding Contax; the ones made by Kyocera are very nice. The 167MT has a bad reputation, but I've used one for a couple of years without any serious trouble. But it is mainly an aperture priority camera. Since I aquired the RX it gathers dust.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:16:30 PM »
The Canon A-1, shutter and aperture priority, as well as program and manual mode. FD glass is both good, plentiful and cheap.

I very much like the Canon EF, the black beauty. It is either shutter priority or manual. But with a bit of practice you can simulate aperture priority, which is also my prefered mode. It has the overhanging shutter speed dial which makes changing speeds easy with camera to the eye.

Pretty much what I would have written

In fact I'm so attached to my EF I'm even looking at buying a spare!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
It is either shutter priority or manual. But with a bit of practice you can simulate aperture priority, which is also my preferred mode.

Aaaahahahaha try telling that to LA ;D I've been trying to convince him of this for a while now, but he refuses to get with the program :D

Full disclosure: LA is a longtime friend of mine (and Peter's) and I've been trying to get him to post here for a while. I couldn't give him an answer to this question, so I guess that finally got him to post here ;) Welcome, LA!

everydaylanre

• 35mm
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies!  A lot of suggestions here to look into... good stuff!  So far, the Contax looks like a match.  It WOULD be great if I could stay K-mount compatible.  I was looking at the Pentax MX and thinking maybe I'd just walk with the MX for manual and the ME-Super for Aperture Priority. Like a boss 8) lol

I forgot to mention that I am a weirdo, and camera aesthetics play a big part for me.  So I am looking for a smaller sized camera (a little bigger than ME-Super would be my limit) and also want the vintage looking body - nothing too digital looking.  I have a Canon 5D at home that I rarely ever touch because it's so big and ugly :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:32:20 AM by lanolan »

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »
I guess everyone will say which camera they like best. I love the Nikon F2 but also like Canon F1 and Olympus OM1/2 but as you like K mount and may have an existing Pentax lens collection I would recommend the Pentax LX

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/metering/exposure.htm

The best and most rugged Pentax ever made.
So I's go Pentax or Oly OM1 as they are small but perfectly formed....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:09:59 AM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
I would suggest the Nikon N8008 1/250 flash synch has all those modes and is powered by aa batteries. I have the N6006 since new. But if it died I would get the N8008.  8)
ps they are cheap!

johan_lindgren

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
I have a Nikon FA which was "THE high tech" camera when it was new in 1983, it is built with fantastic quality and does all what you require!

- center wighted OR matrix metered mode
- A great small handgrip (which can be removed)
- P/S/A/M -modes!! (yes it can actually do all this with AI-S (and most AI) lenses! (P = Auto))
- up to 1/4000
- 1/250 flash sync
(plus everything usual, like timer, big and nice mattescreen and so on)

The only downside to this model as I see it is that it has a (very small) LCD to show exposure, which can be a problem in extremely low light conditions (if you shoot very high speed film ~iso3200 and actually need it):

Not as cheap as the N8008 though  8)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:17:03 PM by johan_lindgren »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
It WOULD be great if I could stay K-mount compatible.
I don't blame you, K-mount lenses are plentiful and cheap.

I went hunting through Camera-Wiki and found this
Pentax K2 (manual and automatic mode)
K2DMD (better K2)
ME (aperture priority)
ME Super
ME-F
Super A/Super Program
Program A/Program Plus
P30/P3 (looks like a good one)
P30n/P3n/P30t
LX

Also check the Ricoh XR and KR series cameras that take K mount
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 01:24:09 AM »
Och wit aboot wunno rem Canon T90's  :)  It hazz everiething but  re Kitchen Sink (opshunal extra) oan it an a 5 FPS motor incloodid in re price tae  8)  ::)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 07:13:14 AM »

The AE-1 Program seems to be more popular, but I love my A-1s.

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 02:46:30 AM »
Going the Minolta Route.

Minolta X-700 is my go to SLR with Auto and Manual modes