Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 5301 times)

RandomHamster

• Beware the hamsters of doom.......er........
    • RandomHamster
Hello all
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:02:20 AM »
Hi,
Just registered so thought I would introduce myself.  I have played around with film cameras since I was a kid and discovered my grandfathers old Zeiss.    I have owned various old cameras, my fav being the fab Rollie 35. A couple of years ago, after being lured into digital through work,  I went over to the RAW side and last year got a canon 10D SLR, setting up a website and selling shots occasionaly through markets etc.  Now I am heading back to film having discovered that digital really doesnt give me that feeling of taking real photos somehow...I was missing the film buzz!  I now have a Holga (first 2 films in for development) and a Bessa R (waiting for lens).  I have talked to loads of people recently (some pro cameramen) and so many have said they have become fed up with digital and miss 'real' cameras so its a growing trend!!  Great to find such a good forum with talented photographers still using film and odd or old cameras! Many thanks to all for helping me get some inspiration back!
 :)
Tracey - All my favorite things start with C... cameras, cheese, cider and chocolate!
http://randomhamster.my-expressions.com/

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:20:52 AM »
welcome....good to have someone close

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »
excellent to have you here mr hamster - dont forget to check out the rest of the site.  some exciting up-and-coming events to be announced soon too.
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:04:29 AM »
Becoming a bit of an animal kingdom here!
Welcome  HamsterMan

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »
Thanks all,
Heres another animal to add to the collection...oh and me too!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tracey - All my favorite things start with C... cameras, cheese, cider and chocolate!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »
excellent to have you here mr hamster

obviously, that's meant to be MRS hamster - typo and all that  :-[
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:43:24 PM »
Something wrong with this pooter Leon, should have been HamsterWoman :-)
Sorry, I have a cold!
A welcome to Basil too

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
Is Basil a pet?   :)

Welcome to you both!

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »
Hi,

Yep, definately a lady Hamster!!!  ;)   :D
Basil belongs to a woman on whose farm I lived before moving to Brstol last year.  I first saw him an hour after he was born and I often used to go photographing on the island where he lived (river either side).  Sometimes he wouldn't leave me alone and this was one of those times, the shot was taken when he was a few months old. He always seemed to want to get in shot...or eat my camera bag.  Usually the latter!!!

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
welcome indeed, 

and hello to basil

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:20:43 AM »
Yep, welcome indeed.

A slightly different take on the "pros going back to film" anecdote came to me last month from a girl who I bought a Bronica SQA from. She was working as an intern at The Guardian/Observer newspaper group here in London and all the work she was given required digital so she was selling her Bronny to buy a new lens for whatever digi cam she had invested in.

The story she told however was very interesting; apparently the vast majority of the newspaper's photographers preferred film to digital, but the editors were trying to get them to switch and kept on at them to submit work in digital format. Resistance was strong, but digital was becoming more prevalent and she said that she'd heard an editor saying that to weed out the final resistors they were going to invest in an expensive Hassy digital and make the snappers use it as the 'staff  camera'.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »
Welcome! Skj.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »
My, what a big hamster.
Look forward to seeing your images. Welcome.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 08:54:22 PM »
Hi Edd,

Sounds typical...digital seems to have got everyone mesmerized at the moment (me too for a short while but I saw the error of my ways).  I was in one of my local camera shops the other day, all of which have gone 100% digital now.  At least this one still sells second hand film cameras but not much.  Chatting to the chap in there and confessing I had gone back to film his responce was 'quite right too...far better than digital!' If thats the attitude from someone in a pro shop, will we see a resergence of film cameras in shops or is the general populas doomed to settle for second best because its easier?!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 10:36:02 PM »
Hello Hampster!
This is pretty much how things generally go. Average Joe will always settle for a lower quality product just to be "in".

I remember when I got a new cell phone. Everybody kept saying "I hope you got the one with a digicam"... They were all so disappointed when I told them I told them I bought the basic model with "nothing on". Why would I pay an extra 200$ for a 2mpx camera that sells for under 50$ in the store? Lets just say there are a lot of people who didn't get it and never will. Yet, all those people come screaming, crying and kicking when their computer that contains the only copy of the pixelated kid pictures crashes (there's a long post on the subject)... yet, they don't get it.

I guess it's pretty hard to show off when you're using a Graflex (ask Ed.) When you say "look at my new camera" and the thing was made in the 1920's... pretty hard to make the point. How new does something have to be to be new?

To me, it comes down to the bases of consumerism run amok. When people define themselves by their belongings, a brand new digicam is a pretty sweet thing. And when the neighbor gets a bigger, faster, better looking model... you just chuck yours in the thrash and get an even bigger, faster, better looking one than his... Its not sustainable for the slightest bit but its the truth.

As for me, I'm pretty happy that people are giving away everything they have to go digital. It means I can get a ton of stuff for extra cheap. Just from doing the Church rummage sales, I have cameras coming out of my ears yet the most I spent on one in the last few years is 4$...

Film users tend to care about quality and long term archiving. In 20 years, probably 90% of all the pictures taken today will have disappeared... only those images shot on film will mostly remain. My enlarger is 100% retrocompatible... something that can't be said from computers.

OK, enough for this (again) ridiculously long post... and Welcome again Hampster!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »
Hi Mr Orange,

Agree with your post, sounds about right.  I was struck the other day on site (I am an archaeologist), when in a discussion about using cameras for recording, when the girl taking some site shots was wondering why units still used film when everything was digital nowadays! I explained about film longevity etc but it just struck me how much things have changed and how its automatic now for most people to think of digital when they think of taking photos.
Just think, there will be a whole new generation of people never even exposed to film cameras.  How sad is that?!!!
Waste more film, thats what I say....now wheres the Holga...! :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 11:01:30 PM »
Hi Mr Orange,
You can call me Francois like most everybody here...

Here, in Canada, the only professionals I know that still use plenty of film are the police photographers... required by law (avoids evidence tempering). Though I don't think they have half as much fun wasting film as I do.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:21:36 PM by Agent Orange »
Francois

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 11:11:41 PM »
Ooops sorry Fran, didnt check the signature, not Mr orange at all! 
Im Tracey by the way, must get my Profile sorted!
 ;D

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »
Everyone is so polite!..

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 11:15:10 PM »
We try...we try.... :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 11:24:39 PM »
Sorry... when I typed in my message, I forgot that the system doesn't support the French accents... and makes my name look just weird...
Thats Francois (normally with a cedilla under the c that doesn't work here... I know, it's complicated but I'm used to it...) :)

No offense there.
Francois

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:31 AM »
Hi Tracey.  :)  I am glad to meet you and your friend, Basil, and excellent intro photo.

I particularly like your  statements, and your declaration that digital folks are wanting more film again.  Love this idea a lot and I have not personally heard this yet.

Film is fun.  :)

-Tammy

RandomHamster

• RandomHamster
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »
Sorry... when I typed in my message, I forgot that the system doesn't support the French accents... and makes my name look just weird...
Thats Francois (normally with a cedilla under the c that doesn't work here... I know, it's complicated but I'm used to it...) :)

No offense there.

Oh double Oops, Sorry Mr Fran, My French recognition is not what it should be!!!.
Please forgive a confused hamster after a hot day in the sun!!!   :D

And Hi Tammy, thanks for your message, film is sooooo much fun! Am awaiting my first Holga pics return...cannt wait!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:03:15 PM by RandomHamster »