Author Topic: Out Of Practice  (Read 1583 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Out Of Practice
« on: September 03, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
Just got back from 2+ weeks travelling round France with the family. I took three film cameras with me and a ton of film. It's the first time in years that I've taken this sort of collection with me

To cover a few different bases I took a Pentax ME Super, a little Pentax Espio p&s (recommended by Miller some years ago) and my original Holga 120 SF. I took b/w film only for the Holga (nasty Lucky 400 and Classic Pan 200) and colour film for the other two (Agfa Ultra and Fujifilm Reala).

Anyway, it was a lot of fun shooting non-instant film again after such a long time away and I got through 15 rolls, so clearly there wasn't a lack of subject matter, but it was hilarious watching how out of practice I was with the whole 'managing multiple cameras and films' aspect of the trip.

Being with the family and doing day trips more or less every day meant that I couldn't take my camera bag with me ever and space was limited in my back pack. It was hot in France - around 36C on average most days - so my good wife argued (not unreasonably) that water was more deserving of back pack space than a 3rd camera. This meant that I rarely had everything I needed in one place.

The thing that caught me out most frequently though was throwing a camera in my bag and then forgetting to check that I had film for it. I'd take 3 shots with the ME Super, finish the film and then realise I only had 120 film in my day pack. This happenned so frequently that by the end of the holiday I actually was packing the right film for the day, but assuming that I hadn't and not bothering to check  :o ;D Fool!

The Espio was awesome BTW; the perfect snapshot camera. It fits in my trouser pocket, at 28mm it's nice and wide and for those close-ups it has the hilarious optical zoom (talk about Pinocchio). I used that the most. I did manage to get into the ocean with my Holga just like the old days and that was a lot of fun too, but occasionally I found myself not knowing whether I'd wound it on or not after taking a photo. I'm anticipating a few doubles as a result :-)

Will post anything decent from the trip when the film gets back from the lab.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Re: Out Of Practice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
Glad to have you back shooting film Ed. And it was fun following your holiday on Instagram.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
Feels good to have you back!

That can only mean that those Coronet Commanders will once again see the light of day  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
I managed to do exactly the same on my holiday  - got on the beach - excited to use my old Yashica Electro- having also had to buy a new battery prior to the holiday  - took two photos and had run out of film.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
I bet you can't wait to see what's on this mystery film ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:31:14 PM »
The Commander(s) will definitely get a run out next time. Taking the Holga was an exercise in nostalgia more than anything, because you just know that I love those Commanders  8)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
Oi Oi - I had a peak on Flickr and thought the Holga shots were Commanders to begin with. 

Was in Civray for the summer, you should have pinged :-)

It was hot wasn't it.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »
Miles, yes, it was MENTALLY hot over there (for a Brit at least). The car registered 42.5C in a traffic jam at one point, but most of the time it was 36C-38C. If I'd known you were in the area I would definitely have been in touch.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
...and as promised, here are some snaps from the trip.

Bordeaux Joe by Ed Wenn, on Flickr (Pentax ME Super + Agfa Ultra)

James by Ed Wenn, on Flickr (Holga + Lucky 400)

Lucca by Ed Wenn, on Flickr (Holga + Lucky 400)

Jacqui by Ed Wenn, on Flickr (Pentax Espio + Agfa APX)

How Red Is Your Red? by Ed Wenn, on Flickr (Pentax ME Super  + Agfa Ultra)

Bike Ride by Ed Wenn, on Flickr (Pentax Espio + Agfa APX)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:33:39 PM by Ed Wenn »

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
Top stuff Ed - as ever.

That Pic of Joe mid jump is amazing

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Miles, yes, it was MENTALLY hot over there (for a Brit at least). The car registered 42.5C in a traffic jam at one point, but most of the time it was 36C-38C. If I'd known you were in the area I would definitely have been in touch.

Ed,

Ouch - way too hot for humans - Brit or otherwise!

In 2012, when Olympics were on, Lara and I went to Marrakech (to avoid having to be on a train which stops at the curiously named "Stratford International" - Olympic Stadium - en-route to Liverpool Street).  We were there for a week and the lowest temperature at 13:00 was 48 deg C and a couple of days it was 52 deg C.  Totally debilitating.  We took a trip to Essaouira on a coach with "Moroccan air-conditioning" (the windows opened a bit) to escape for a day.  As Essaouira is on the Atlantic coast, it was 20+ deg C cooler. Bliss (relatively speaking).

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:43:39 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »
Marrakech, you say? We were there in March 2007 and it was hot, but lovely...I can't believe you went in the summer. Mad Dogs and all that, eh?!

Silhouette by Ed Wenn, on Flickr

Before & After by Ed Wenn, on Flickr