Author Topic: Inventorying Ektachrome (and other discontinued film stock)  (Read 1517 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
After returning from Cuba where I shot 16 rolls of Ektachrome 100VS (120) and deciding that I would dedicate the rest of my stash to cross-processed Cuba, I looked to see what I have exactly.  35 rolls.  Two trips worth.  That could work for the whole project but then, I think I need to score some more.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Inventorying Ektachrome (and other discontinued film stock)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
There's always lots of Ektachrome on ebay. In fact, I just did a quick search and there are 40 rolls of my favorite 80's Ektachrome 64 (35mm) listed for $40, so I'm gonna be watching that like a hawk...

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
I've got 5 rolls of 120 Ektachrome 100 plus that I was given about 2 years ago and it has been on top of my wardrobe that I think I will shoot one this weekend and develope in Rodinal

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:10:04 PM »
There's always lots of Ektachrome on ebay. In fact, I just did a quick search and there are 40 rolls of my favorite 80's Ektachrome 64 (35mm) listed for $40, so I'm gonna be watching that like a hawk...

100VS in 120 seems to go for $10-$15 a roll on ebay.  It seems fairly available which it should since it was only discontinued in 2012.  But that price...  I found a place that is supposedly still selling it for $6 a roll.  I will be hitting that when I get paid on Friday to supply an additional trip.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
I've got 5 rolls of 120 Ektachrome 100 plus that I was given about 2 years ago and it has been on top of my wardrobe that I think I will shoot one this weekend and develope in Rodinal

Why?   ??? Buying E6 can be expensive, I tend to acquire as much as I can just to save for those moments when E6 can really show its true color.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »

Why?   ??? Buying E6 can be expensive, I tend to acquire as much as I can just to save for those moments when E6 can really show its true color.
Because it has been badly stored and expired in 1993

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »
I have over 300 feet of Regular 8mm Ektachrome 100D in my freezer that I've been slowly depleting.  I think it's the best reversal movie film since Kodachrome and will really miss it when it's gone.  I also have a few cartridges of Super 8 remaining as well but they will be gone soon.  I've definitely cut back on my home movies because the film is getting harder to find and more expensive, I'm just hoping Ferrania starts producing a reversal soon.  I know it wont be anything like Ektachrome but it'll be better than nothing. 

For my Viewmaster camera I've already switched to Fujifilm Velvia 100 since I ran out of Ektachrome.  I'm still working on my first roll so the jury is still out.  The problem with 8mm film and the Viewmaster camera is fine grain is important and I don't have very high hopes that Ferrania is going to be anywhere near what Ektachrome had. 

This is from my last roll of Ektachrome E100 VS in my Viewmaster camera.
Lorraine Motel by bac1967, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:20:32 AM »

100VS in 120 seems to go for $10-$15 a roll on ebay.  It seems fairly available which it should since it was only discontinued in 2012.  But that price...  I found a place that is supposedly still selling it for $6 a roll.  I will be hitting that when I get paid on Friday to supply an additional trip.

I just won that 40-pack of 64 daylight for $55!!! There is hope for everyone! :D