Author Topic: Locations in Snowdonia  (Read 1186 times)

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
Locations in Snowdonia
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
Hello all,

I'm heading for a family camping trip in a couple of weeks to Snowdonia, staying in the southern half of Snowdonia close to the estuary near Barmouth. Can anyone recommend some good spots for some dawn photography? I'm going to be on my own and will only have a few hours each morning to go out and shoot (need to be back to cook the breakfasts when the kids wake up!) so nothing too far off the beaten track and fairly accessible by car.

Thanks all.

Moiz

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Locations in Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
Hi Moiz.

Head north to Harlech Castle, Porthmadog and Portmeirion or head south to Tywyn and Aberdovey.  Lots of great beach scenery around that part of NW / mid-Wales.  Portmeirion is an Italianate village which was used in the 1960's as the backdrop for the cult TV series "The Prisoner".  Very beautiful place and massive beach / estuary where the village meets the water.

More locally, the railway bridge over the Mawddach estuary could be an interesting shot if you get the right light......

I lived in Wales when I was younger and spent a fair bit of time (many years ago) not far from where you're going. 

Hope you get the weather for it as it can be a bit wet and blowy over there.........
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
Thanks Paul, I'll look up all of those places. Might try and split my days between beaches and mountains.

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
Moiz

I'd recommend the Creggennen Lakes high up in the shadow of Cadair Idris.   A wonderful spot with views back to Barmouth and the Mawddach estuary too.  Accessible by road (narrow and steep) and there's a car park.

llynnau cregennen by Nick M: photo:log, on Flickr

Some good views to be had too from the Precipice Walk near Dolgellau, just up the road from Barmouth, and again easily accessible.

mawddach estuary by Nick M: photo:log, on Flickr

Nick

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Unfortunately my experience with Snowdon is all further North, around Snowdonia itself. I spent many happy years working in the Youth Hostels and climbing as much as I could in that part of the world. In fact I'm so attached to it that I just can't face going back knowing I'm no longer part of that world (morbid note).  :'(

However if you do venture North I can recommend what is probably the best cafe in the country! http://www.petes-eats.co.uk/ Go hungry!  :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
Thanks guys,

Nick, wonderful shots, Cadair Idris and the surrounding area is one of the places to go and shoot on my list, I just wasn't sure how accessible it was as I wouldn't have time to do a 2 hr trek to get some shots. Glad to hear it's reasonably accessible by car. I have order a Landranger map of the area, might pick up an Explorer too.

Nigel, thanks, one day for lunch is now fixed! I'm going to try the trek up Snowdon myself sometime I think, just without a 3 year old!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »
Actually, Moiz, despite the scale of Snowdon, there is a rack and pinion steam railway that takes you right to the top of the mountain - where you will find a newly-refurbished visitor center and cafe.  If time is critical, weather less than optimal and/or you want to take the family, the railway is a brilliant option.  Not cheap, but what is these days?

I've been to the top of Smowdon 3-4 times; once by railway. Great views and photo opportunities all the way.  You will need to keep the little 'un on a rein, though, as some of the drops are MASSIVE.  On a clear day, you can see the Isle of Man.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »
Llyn Dinas is great for early morning moody pics (see first two below).

Also, try to get up to Cwmorthin slate mine, nr Blaenau Ffestiniog. It will need some planning, but there are lots of instructions on the web on how to get there (next 2 piccies). It is a disused slate mine, completely desolate, lots of old buildings and equipment left about to shoot. Make sure you go at the end of the day for full spooky effect. The ravens will be flying around and gronking at you, makes it all so much more authentic!

A walk down the Aberglaslyn gorge is always a treat too - last piccie here is of the top of the walk near Beddgelert

And ... if you are feeling fit, and your kids are hardy, a walk to the top of Snowdon and back will take 6 hours or so. It's a great day! The last snippet is me and my nephew going up when it was icy and snowy up there last year. I wouldnt recommend going up in these conditions!

Leon and David conquer Mount Snowdon - April 2013 on Vimeo

L.