Author Topic: citytrip NY  (Read 4368 times)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
citytrip NY
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:02:07 PM »
First week of april I'll be visiting New York city. Anyone from around there who's got some must see tips? I'll be taking my Olympus trip 35... it's kinda in the name

Terry

Re: citytrip NY
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »
How much time have you got?  What sort of subject matter interests you?  There's a lot to see and shoot!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
Brooklyn Bridge Park, between the foot (feet?) of the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge is nice with nice views.  Some great views of the Manhattan skyline are from Long Island City, Queens across from midtown.  Basically, any bridge in Brooklyn in Queens that crosses the East River into Manhattan.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »
How much time have you got?  What sort of subject matter interests you?  There's a lot to see and shoot!

I'm there for five days... city life interests me. I'm a country boy, grown up in a small village in the Netherlands, so large cities fascinate me. I always get that ant-hill-feeling. So i'd say a mix of people and sights is what probably do

Terry

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
New York is a city of neighborhoods, each with a slightly different character.  Most if not all of it is photogenic in some way, and coming to it with your eye may be an asset--you may see things New Yorkers don't.  I've always liked the lower east side and the Village for the architecture and the eclectic mix of people.  As Peter said, some of the communities along the East River are interesting and the views of Manhattan from there are iconic.  I like Dumbo, not least for the Powerhouse bookshop and gallery (they published the Vivian Maier book) but also for the shots you can get there.  Brooklyn has many neighborhoods, as does Queens, and the two of them are vast.  If you've only got five days, rambling around Manhattan and maybe a day in Brooklyn and Queens would give you a good taste.  I have to say too that a trip across (under) the Hudson on the PATH train to Hoboken is good for scenic views of the city.

I used to live on Roosevelt Island; the aerial tram from 59th Street is fun and good for shooting. 
If the weather is good, Bryant Park is interesting for people-shots as, of course, is Central Park.  If you're going to B&H, keep walking uptown through Hell's Kitchen to the theatre district or all the way up to Lincoln Center. 

You should visit Grand Central too--if you ask the security guards there you can get a permit to shoot which I think is free and is good for an hour or two. 

And you probably should walk the High Line, even if it's full of strolling tourists.

You will, no doubt, find places that you like best just having a wander down this street or that.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:51:53 PM »
Central Park is great, but in recent years has become too crowded to get good pictures. The only time to get good shots now is at dawn when you can make long exposures and not have to deal with the crowds.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:49 AM »
Head down to the southern tip of manhattan and take the free ferry ride to Governor's Island. The island itself has some interesting buildings and a fort plus you'll be able to shoot the lower manhattan skyline from a short distance away. NY seen from the water is NY seen from a completely different perspective. If you've got a few hours to kill and a zoom lens the Circle Line will take you all around manhattan  and through the harbor as well. Then just pick some neighborhoods in any of the boroughs and walk. Walk, walk, walk. You won't lack for photographic opportunities. If you like architectural details don't forget to look up. Some great architectural flourishes exist a bit above eye level, especially on older buildings. Look on the sides of older buildings for old, fading painted advertisements. 

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Ill second the brooklyn bridge suggestion a good few hours, great views.. good people watching, skylines... great.

Also one of the best things we did was ticked off the statue of liberty first thing then spent the rest of the day walking from Battery park up through the financial district, chinatown, soho etc etc...sure we spent the whole day walking and by the time we got back to our hotel neat central park I was ready for a beer!

In soho somewhere there was the leica gallery, very small but good free exhibition.   

I agree that the best option is to pick an area then walk walk walk....  just an amazing place!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisisrice/tags/nyc/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:11:19 AM »
I'm a fan of "ugly" cityscapes. So I'd recommend visiting some of our more run-down neighborhoods in the middle of Brooklyn or eastern Queens. Obviously, go during daylight hours and maybe bring a knife with you just in case, but only go there if you're comfortable :) Otherwise, yeah, the tourist spots are nice as well I suppose :) If you want to meet up, let me know. I live in (a nice part of) Queens :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:12:52 AM »
Has anyone mentioned the Brooklyn promenade? Leads nicely to the Brooklyn Bridge.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 03:40:47 AM »
 I second the suggestion for Bryant Park people watching/shooting, and I might add the pedestrian area above Times Square as well, though possibly better at night when there are fewer (but still interesting) people. Otherwise avoid Times Square if you don't like swarming hoards of annoying tourists :)

For "ugly" landscapes, I just recently took a few shots of Chinatown from the Manhattan Bridge - oh my goodness, the graffiti you can see from there!
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 05:17:18 AM »
For "ugly" landscapes, I just recently took a few shots of Chinatown from the Manhattan Bridge - oh my goodness, the graffiti you can see from there!

Those shots were great :)

Terry

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
For some reason I just recalled time spent on City Island many years ago.  For quirky urban anomalies it used to be unrivalled: a little bit of New England in the Bronx.  I hear it is now hip, but nonetheless may still be interesting.  And they've always had some good seafood.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »
The Highline (I don't say this as enthusiastically as I used to but it's still pretty cool and offers some unusual vantage points down streets and into people's apartments and hotel rooms)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »
The Highline (I don't say this as enthusiastically as I used to but it's still pretty cool and offers some unusual vantage points down streets and into people's apartments and hotel rooms)

The Highline is jam packed with tourists every moment it is open, and when I say jam packed I mean it's impossible to move, never mind pull out a camera.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »

The Highline is jam packed with tourists every moment it is open, and when I say jam packed I mean it's impossible to move, never mind pull out a camera.

I went last year when it was freakin' cold and it was only jelly packed

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »

I went last year when it was freakin' cold and it was only jelly packed

Let me just say I'd hate to see it marmalade packed...

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
So Wednesday, very early in the morning,  I'll be bording the plane to NY, thanks everyone for their tips, made a to do list that is plenty long, so thanks again everyone!  :D

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
Don't forget to get horrifically drunk on brooklyn lager.  I did and its an experience I can recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7uJrmt2yQw

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
Don't forget to get horrifically drunk on brooklyn lager.  I did and its an experience I can recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7uJrmt2yQw

This is sound advice,but if they've any of their Chocolate Stout left you'd do well to squeeze one or two in as well.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »

Thanks! (I JUST NOW saw this post! I've been under a rock...)

Peter, have fun in NYC! Looking forward to seeing some shots.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »

Thanks! (I JUST NOW saw this post! I've been under a rock...)

Peter, have fun in NYC! Looking forward to seeing some shots.

I just did this walk yesterday based on your recco, and I couldn't take anything better than what you (& O2pilot?) took, so I just gave up and went home ;) Actually, I did take a bunch of pics in Chinatown proper, so the walk was not at all a wash.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
And here's what happens when Filmwasters get together:

Did one Peter say something to upset the other Peter?

Ok, much better now :)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »
Well safely back home again, NY was great! Took me a couple of days to get adjusted to my own time zone again, but well worth it

I can't begin to mention what I've seen, just to many

Highlight of the trip was of course the beers I had  with Satish and Peter  8)

and damion I must say brooklyn lager leaves you with a nice feeling the next morning....

The highline is really cool leaves you with so many sights troughout the city had a tele lens with me at that moment, first rolls (3 of 9) are already developed still need to scan them, but I will post some shots in the next weekend thread.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
Thanks for the roll of Plus X, Peter! I mistakenly overdeveloped the negs in Rodinal 1:83 for nearly 2 hours ... my standard 1:100 for an hour would have been completely sufficient. But here's a couple anyways.

Please come back anytime! It was fun hanging out with you!

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 11:07:28 PM »
can you realise that that stuff expired in 1961... Next time I'm the states I'll make a stop at Rudy's bar & grill for sure!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »
Well, there's pretty much no shadow detail, but I don't know if that's because of the film or my random development.