Author Topic: Dirty Rollers  (Read 1873 times)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Dirty Rollers
« on: July 08, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »
That's what I'm going to name my band someday.
This is what happens when you use too much expired film in your $200 Polaroid camera. It's all good, though. I was a couple shots through another pack of Fuji when I finally decided it was the camera and not the film. Scraped it all clean with my fingernails and a paper towel out in the desert. Good thing I fixed it before my hike up SP Crater north of Flagstaff! 800 feet up a cinder cone. That white spot at the bottom of the last shot is my truck from the top edge of the crater. Wasn't fun going up, but the rest was great.
sean

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

cwilk

• Mostly Monochrome
Re: Dirty Rollers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »
That's a very interesting effect.

kucharo

• 35mm
    • Kucharo
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »
The 2nd and 3rd shots are particularly interesting. The blooming effect is very striking. Wonder how you can reproduce that!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:14 PM »
Sean, this particular Polaffect doesn't really do it for me...at least not on these shots. Doesn't add anything. I've had that blooming effect before too and it's kind of cool every once in a while, but I guess the white gaps just aren't my type of mistake  ;D

The final one is a winner though; lovely shades of grey on the distant hills.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:59:14 PM »
yeah, while the white spots are sometimes fun, i wasn't expecting it to take over the pack. i like the colors of the expired...guess i'll have to clean my rollers more often!

as for reproducing the blooms...other than having lots of crap on your rollers, i dunno. not sure it would work with new 669, cuz this stuff was the 'transfer' film. i imagine the newer film goo has a much stronger grip on the paper since it doesn't transfer well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:01:56 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

kucharo

• 35mm
    • Kucharo
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 04:18:21 AM »
I hadn't seen the blooms before, so it was a new thrill for me. I'll disagree somewhat with Mr. Wenn on the third one. I think the blooms add to the shot, in an odd framing way, although the white gaps do seem a distraction.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:26:01 AM by kucharo »