Author Topic: New Flickr Followers  (Read 7633 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
New Flickr Followers
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »
Has anyone else been inundated with a ton of new Flickr followers? I hardly use the place any more, but I have gained around 30 new followers this weekend. Usually that would be the total for a whole year. I've heard a lot about people suddenly getting hundreds of extra views per image after the switch to the new look Flickr and I wondered if this might be part of that? Either way, it's a bit strange.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Re: New Flickr Followers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
I got some new followers after I removed all pictures and deleted my account. I sent a message to the helpdesk asking again to fully delete my account, but no response yet.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
I get the occasional one.   No real increase/decrease since the big change

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
I deleted all my photos about a month ago and it's been blissfully quiet.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
have had a bit of traffic lately, cant tell if it is increased really though as I have binned my pro account... use it less and less but then dont put pics anywhere else... keep meaning to build myself a website but a 8 month year old is slowing that project down.

been getting lots and lots of random friend requests on facebook too, maybe it is a sign that both those networks are struggling a little...

cheers

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
For flickr, I believe that they now count the views for everything including image links outside the site, so that might account for the increase.

As for facebook, here's the lowdown on the "new friends out of the blue" problem. Veritasium explains it quite well...
Facebook Fraud
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:13:44 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
I get flickr followers all the time. Usually I pick up at least 3-8 per week if Im posting up really good stuff frequently. I think now I should be followed around 300ish times? Im just basing that off the amount of undeleted flickrmail notifications of people adding you.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
You're lucky in a way!
Most views I have is of my Lomo Konstructor which got over 1100 views... but I guess it's because I was in the first group that built one and that I have an extensive write-up attached to it.

Then, I drop to something like 125 views for one of the few panoramic shots I have. The rest goes downhill from there.
I must admit that I don't post to many groups... only two or three.
So far, I have just a handful of followers outside Filmwasters.
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:40 AM »
not more followers..

but it looks like most of my photos that others have "favorite" are not longer marked as such. View count still the same. Could it be related to a number of my photos that became corrupt and damaged (now deleted)? I dropped out of every group, none of my photos are in groups except for groups I manage. I don't have tags on most of my photos, but they do have descriptions. Maybe I should make it even harder for others to discover my crap photos by removing descriptions! Maybe flickr will reset my followers next! (Not that I have that many, nor desire any);D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:21:17 AM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
It's all a bit strange isn't it? Some people use Flickr 'properly' and so views and followers etc. is important to them. I've tended to use it as a place to stash my fave photos online so I can link to them for friends & family. Before the re-design it was a good place for a discussion every now and then, but now it's just bewildering and the new layout does not make me want to visit or even try to have a chat/discussion...and yet I'm now getting more followers and higher image views than ever before. Given that I joined Flickr in Jan 2005, I believe I have some experience of how much attention my photos usually get there (very little) and recent developments are just plain puzzling.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »
Shit! I just went back to Flickr & took a look at my stream (pardon the expression!)....suddenly everything becomes clear. The most recent photo I uploaded - a week ago - has well over 18,000 views. I have no idea why or how this happened, but that would absolutely account for all the new followers.

Now...to find out WTF is going on with that photo.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
18,000! wow!

has it been explored/shared on tumblr?

Either way I am sure it is worthy of all the attention  :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
Shit! I just went back to Flickr & took a look at my stream (pardon the expression!)....suddenly everything becomes clear. The most recent photo I uploaded - a week ago - has well over 18,000 views. I have no idea why or how this happened, but that would absolutely account for all the new followers.

Now...to find out WTF is going on with that photo.

No disrespect to, or criticism of, your photography, Ed - but 18,000 views in a week would also make me very suspicious that there's "something rotten in the state of Denmark" so to speak...!! 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »
Try using google image search to find where your image is visible. You might find out that it's been xlinked with some other site who's using it for some promo...
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:04:29 AM »
No disrespect to, or criticism of, your photography, Ed - but 18,000 views in a week would also make me very suspicious that there's "something rotten in the state of Denmark" so to speak...!!

Chances are it's just been linked somewhere by someone. The Internet is big (you don't say) so this many people could have viewed it in an hour. Also, 215 favourites & 25 comments, so I assume the 'views' figure is reasonably accurate (albeit adjusted to fit in with Flickr's new policy of what constitutes a 'view').

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 03:43:26 AM »
Ed! It was explored. I only gauge that on the few people that say "congrats on explore". I've never had a film shot explored before. A couple dig ones but those don't count. On my explored shot I only got maybe 500 views? I'm going to guess you have so many views because all the dig shooters out there are looking to see your "process" haha!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 06:10:02 AM »
ah, yes. it was explored. I started getting that recently. I haven't come up to your view count but I can understand that your shot is easy to relate to and gained many clicks that way. (my most popular explored shot is of coffee haha)
I think it's fun when people other than my usual followers drop in but they seldom stick around. they seem to only scroll through that explored list every day. one of the ways I recognize that 've gotten explored is when I see a user that usually comes through that :P

either way, you can use this to check if you have any shots that are explored: http://bighugelabs.com/scout.php
/jonas

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Currently at no 58 for the pictures explored on the same day. You have quite a few that have been explored over the years Ed. Look see here: http://bighugelabs.com/scout.php?username=ed+wenn&sort=date&year=0
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:50:50 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Owlsflight

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:46 PM »
In my years over at Flickr I've noticed that Explore can explode a users view count, and add a ton of users even days past the upload date. I personally think a lot of the people that give the congrats comments are just trying to siphon off some activity to their own page. Explore can often seem quite confusing, but I've noticed certain users that I follow have a very specific upload schedule that consistently gets photos into that group and helps accumulate a ton of views. Specifically uploading in the early morning, especially in bad weather when more people seem to look for things to do inside. The "unknown source" for views has always been a strange source, but I'm not sure what it could be connected to. I think I read something a long time ago about "bots".  I don't really care about the views too much, but I do appreciate the informative feedback on that site, especially to the shots I post that have some kind of historical background. I used to get a lot of negative feedback but that has dwindled down in recent years.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
OK, thanks for that. Now I need to go and read what "explored" means in this context. Cheers for the links though, guys. Much appreciated.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
explored means that flickr decided that your image was one of the most 'interesting' (based on their algorythm) 500 images uploaded that day...

nice work :-)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
A bit late to the thread  :o as always!

Ed, I had a very similar spike a while back. I eventually took a at the stats and found that one image from years ago had 32,000 views in one day and close to that  for many days. I eventually tracked it down. It had been posted on a forum somewhere - which was nice.

I know that all moan about the new  format and many have fled to alternatives, but, I still kinda like it. I have that sense of, better the  devil you know, attitude. I go through phases of being active or not. I guess the thing I like is that it is the only place that I have consistently posted to since 2005 - so the chronology is there.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »
I know that I feel the latest version is infinitely better than the previous design...
Francois