Author Topic: Test shots with a Pentax 6x7  (Read 4919 times)

johnha

Test shots with a Pentax 6x7
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:35:18 AM »
Hi All,

Having recently acquired a Pentax 6x7Mu (to compliment my 67) along with a metering prism and 45mm lens, I needed to test it (having had some teething problems with the meter prism & lens I was a bit dubious about the camera). The light was falling rapidly and I'd decided to use my 75mm f/4.5 lens (which I knew was good) and having loaded Provia 100F earlier in the day, had to hurry things a bit. I managed only one spot reading with my Sekonic meter before its battery died, but it was enough to show that the prism reading was roughly consistent.

I was intending to test focusing, the shutter and frame spacing and as long as the results were suitable for that, wasn't too bothered (just wanted to get some test shots). These were handheld from about 1/60th upwards IIRC (the meter suggested 1/30th sometimes - but that seemed way too slow). I received the results tonight (commercially processed & scanned): 10 exposures, no frame over-laps, no obvious shutter faults. Other than re-sizing and adding a border, I haven't touched the scans.

First up a focus test:

Lifebuoy by John Halliwell, on Flickr

Then a few more of some nearby pylons:

River Ribble Pylons #1 by John Halliwell, on Flickr

River Ribble Pylons #2 by John Halliwell, on Flickr

River Ribble Pylons #3 by John Halliwell, on Flickr

Suffice to say it passed the test pretty well.

John.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Test shots with a Pentax 6x7
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:56:50 AM »
Passed indeed! I'd say with "flying colors"!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

FrankE

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:02:12 AM »
I know I would be very happy with those.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »
Nice indeed.. I was eyeing one of those "beasts" only the other day... Tempting..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
Very nice indeed. Love the sundown / twilight shots.  Never knew the Ribble could look so picturesque  ;)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
it's a very nice tool to use and often regret having sold it, but my back was finding it too heavy to carry so i swapped it for a lighter 6x7 camera.
I found the pentax with its 105mm great for BW portraits (Carlos aka Calbisu has plenty of them in the forum and flickr, beautiul)
maybe one day I'll get it back

soeren

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:28:17 AM »
it's a very nice tool to use and often regret having sold it, but my back was finding it too heavy to carry so i swapped it for a lighter 6x7 camera.
I found the pentax with its 105mm great for BW portraits (Carlos aka Calbisu has plenty of them in the forum and flickr, beautiul)
maybe one day I'll get it back

I had the 165 f/2,8 for my P6X7. Until the lens fell appart it produced some really stunning images of our firstborn. Would like to have a 67II but they are to expensive so I consider switching to a RZ67 pro II. But then again I have a 645 pro in the mail so......
Best regards
Soeren
Naestved, Denmark

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
Hi Johnha, those pics just look as they should  ;)

The Pentax 67 does not leave anyone indifferent, this is for sure. I would say it´s not a very popular camera, which pulls prices down, specially for the lenses, but I dare to say it produces comparable results to any other well know medium format systems. Its only drawback (not surprisingly) is its weight.  but to shoot with them is just sweet  ;D   It was my camera of choice until the Rolleiflex came in  :'(

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
Hi Johnha, those pics just look as they should  ;)

The Pentax 67 does not leave anyone indifferent, this is for sure. I would say it´s not a very popular camera, which pulls prices down, specially for the lenses, but I dare to say it produces comparable results to any other well know medium format systems. Its only drawback (not surprisingly) is its weight.  but to shoot with them is just sweet  ;D   It was my camera of choice until the Rolleiflex came in  :'(

Yup, I had one with the wide-angle lens and loved it.  But sold it to buy my daughter a violin.  And then when I got back to medium format I went with the Mamiya 6.  I have to say I like the lighter weight, easier to handle, so much quieter Mamiya over the Pentax.

johnha

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies. As a quick background to why I chose the Pentax 6x7 over other options:

I wanted a camera I could travel easily with (not necessarily to the ends of the earth), by that I was hoping to simply sling the camera over my shoulder without having to worry about a bag. I wanted a slim(ish) package front to back and one that I thought would be solid enough to cope with the inevitable knocks and weather. I considered the Mamiya 7 but the lens prices were much much higher (and I preferred an SLR anyway). I shoot Pentax 35mm and had always wanted a P67 and finding a local dealer with one at a reasonable price was the clincher.

I'm not quite sure it has met the 'sling over the shoulder' test (the prism release buttons seem to be easy to press by accident), and I've had problems skipping the first (and sometimes second) frames on the roll - I think due my initial loading practice. I'm still working on the strap arrangements, when I can get hold of enough strap lugs I'll use a pair of lugs on each end of the strap for security (four lugs). Having considered the almost obligatory wooden handgrip (left side), and experimented with portrait orientation without it (my left hand cups the lens just like a 35mm SLR), I've decided it's more likely to get in the way.

I need to get out with it further afield and more often though.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies. As a quick background to why I chose the Pentax 6x7 over other options:

I wanted a camera I could travel easily with (not necessarily to the ends of the earth), by that I was hoping to simply sling the camera over my shoulder without having to worry about a bag. I wanted a slim(ish) package front to back and one that I thought would be solid enough to cope with the inevitable knocks and weather. I considered the Mamiya 7 but the lens prices were much much higher (and I preferred an SLR anyway). I shoot Pentax 35mm and had always wanted a P67 and finding a local dealer with one at a reasonable price was the clincher.

I'm not quite sure it has met the 'sling over the shoulder' test (the prism release buttons seem to be easy to press by accident), and I've had problems skipping the first (and sometimes second) frames on the roll - I think due my initial loading practice. I'm still working on the strap arrangements, when I can get hold of enough strap lugs I'll use a pair of lugs on each end of the strap for security (four lugs). Having considered the almost obligatory wooden handgrip (left side), and experimented with portrait orientation without it (my left hand cups the lens just like a 35mm SLR), I've decided it's more likely to get in the way.

I need to get out with it further afield and more often though.

I acquired the handmade right hand grip, it vastly improves de P67 handling, I highly recommend it.

Carlos.