Author Topic: I was given some glass plates tonight  (Read 818 times)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
I was given some glass plates tonight
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
At our club tonight i was given about 20 plates and i was wondering what date you think they are, i think they are 20's, i'm going to have fun scanning these

another added

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:13:10 PM by gsgary »

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: I was given some glass plates tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
The aircraft apparently dates to 1921: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Type_W

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
Cheers

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
I couldn't help but look into the history of this particular aircraft and found the G-EBBI had a long and interesting history.  It was the last of its type used by Imperial Airways, being retired in 1932. It suffered engine failure and a crash landing near Dover in 1926 - taking out a fence and its landing gear in the process, but no injuries. There are several stills taken from a 1928 documentary that show the plane from various angles here: http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Imperial_Airway_-_The_Work_of_the_British_Airways

I wonder if there is a way to precisely date the photo by looking at the way it is painted or other such details. It might be interesting to find somebody who would know about such things.

Looking at the bicycle, I think I can make out the Raleigh heron on the lamp bracket. Unfortunately from an almost dead on front angle there's not much to see of it. The man's fashion certainly seems 1920s appropriate though.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Re: I was given some glass plates tonight
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:03:28 AM »
I couldn't help but look into the history of this particular aircraft and found the G-EBBI had a long and interesting history.  It was the last of its type used by Imperial Airways, being retired in 1932. It suffered engine failure and a crash landing near Dover in 1926 - taking out a fence and its landing gear in the process, but no injuries. There are several stills taken from a 1928 documentary that show the plane from various angles here: http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Imperial_Airway_-_The_Work_of_the_British_Airways

I wonder if there is a way to precisely date the photo by looking at the way it is painted or other such details. It might be interesting to find somebody who would know about such things.

Looking at the bicycle, I think I can make out the Raleigh heron on the lamp bracket. Unfortunately from an almost dead on front angle there's not much to see of it. The man's fashion certainly seems 1920s appropriate though.

Ive got another plane shot will try and scan and post it later

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2