Author Topic: The first attempt at developing E6 slides  (Read 4453 times)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
The first attempt at developing E6 slides
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
Mamiya 645 Super, Rollei Digibase 200. The developing was much more complicated than C41
 - one bath more and agitation every 15 seconds. The film ended a bit underexposed or maybe
underdeveloped, but looked passable. Another problem: it was the curliest film I have ever seen.
I couldn't put it in the Canon provided holder for the life of me. After taking piece of glass from a
photo frame and pressing the film under the glass I managed to get usable scans, but not using
Canon own software but the Silverfast lite also provided on Canon's CD.

Did anyone else use the film and was it curly as hell too? Tomorrow I'll try some Agfa Precisa.

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Re: The first attempt at developing E6 slides
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
So, nobody has used Rollei Digibase CR 200 film?

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
Not used that particular film ( and I do fancy trying E6 process some time ), but I can attest that Rollei is rolly.
I've never known a film that curls up quite so fiercely. Hang it up to dry with a weighted clamp at the bottom, and then as soon as you remove the clamp... SPROING!!!

Retro 80S, IR400, and their C41 colour film, all roll up tightly as soon as you take the weight off.

Felt like i needed three hands to get it in the scanner tray, two to hold it down and one to close the tray!

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
Not used that particular film ( and I do fancy trying E6 process some time ), but I can attest that Rollei is rolly.
I've never known a film that curls up quite so fiercely. Hang it up to dry with a weighted clamp at the bottom, and then as soon as you remove the clamp... SPROING!!!

Retro 80S, IR400, and their C41 colour film, all roll up tightly as soon as you take the weight off.

Felt like i needed three hands to get it in the scanner tray, two to hold it down and one to close the tray!

Exactly!! I even left it for 24 hours under a couple of encyclopedias, but everything was in vain.
The problem is I've got 5 more rolls of the damn thing. I REALLY hate curly films.  The flattest
films I have tried so far are Kodak Tmax 400 and Fomapan 200. The curliest was Fuji Acros,
but Rollei beats it easily.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Tri-X is also pretty curly.  I find though that it curls more widthwise than lengthwise.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
And then, there's Lucky and Shanghai film... both made by the inventors of the slinky!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
Let's not forget Rollei Retro 80s in 127 format. It's spooled more tightly than 120 film and therefore curls even more!

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
And then, there's Lucky and Shanghai film... both made by the inventors of the slinky!

Haha! Very funny.  :) So far I've tried just Shanghai 120 film and it was the curliest film
until I tried the Rollei CR 200.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
I've used the Rollei digibase film before, self developed. Didn't really care for it. Heavy grain and colors are a bit flat. Still like Ektar the best.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
I managed somehow to squeeze the film in the scanner holder, but with the emulsion side down,
and get a decent scan.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:58:42 PM by Fluminian »

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
Mamiya 645 Super, Rollei Digibase 200. The developing was much more complicated than C41
 - one bath more and agitation every 15 seconds. The film ended a bit underexposed or maybe
underdeveloped, but looked passable. Another problem: it was the curliest film I have ever seen.
I couldn't put it in the Canon provided holder for the life of me. After taking piece of glass from a
photo frame and pressing the film under the glass I managed to get usable scans, but not using
Canon own software but the Silverfast lite also provided on Canon's CD.

Did anyone else use the film and was it curly as hell too? Tomorrow I'll try some Agfa Precisa.

I'm really impressed, I think you've done a great job with this roll! 

Yes I've used it and it's very fiddly to get into the scanning trays :(

Is your Agfa Precisa in 35mm? I've not come across it in 120 format...

Will you be trying some cross-processing while your chemicals are still fresh?

I look forward to seeing your next scans :D

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
Thank you, LEAFotography. Yes, the Agfa Precisa is a 35mm film, but I read somewhere that Rollei CR200 is a very similar film
to Agfa Precisa, but I hope they don't share the same film base.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:32:45 AM »
I must have skipped the line about cross-processing in you message, LEAFotography.
I'm not sure I understand your suggestion correctly. Should I try to develop reversal
film in C41 chemicals or negative film in E6 chemicals?

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
I must have skipped the line about cross-processing in you message, LEAFotography.
I'm not sure I understand your suggestion correctly. Should I try to develop reversal
film in C41 chemicals or negative film in E6 chemicals?

You can actually do both!

But processing slide film in C41 chemicals will increase contrast and cause a colour shift which will depend on the type of film you use.  Two examples here.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »
The Rollei slide film is produced by Agfa Gaevert so I can understand how one might think that that's similar to the Precisa.

However, all new Agfa color film is "Made in Japan" and therefore just rebranded Fuji. In the case of Precisa it's most likely Provia. So you don't have to worry at all.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:49:52 AM »
Thanks, Charles. Interesting results. I will certainly try to cross-process some rolls, but
please tell me how do the results from negative film developed in E6 chemical look like.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
The Rollei slide film is produced by Agfa Gaevert so I can understand how one might think that that's similar to the Precisa.

However, all new Agfa color film is "Made in Japan" and therefore just rebranded Fuji. In the case of Precisa it's most likely Provia. So you don't have to worry at all.

Thanks, Urban. I've already exposed 2 Precisa films. One in my newly acquired Exa 1a and one in my reliable Olympus IS-1000.
I will soon start developing  the films without fear of getting a free slinky or two ( ;) Francois).

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks, Charles. Interesting results. I will certainly try to cross-process some rolls, but
please tell me how do the results from negative film developed in E6 chemical look like.

I've never tried it myself - but its supposed to decrease contrast.  Most people stick to processing slide film in C41 chemicals.  I went through a phase of x processing alot of film a few years back. I did get some interesting results but I didn't like the unpredictability of it in the end.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

I've never tried it myself - but its supposed to decrease contrast.  Most people stick to processing slide film in C41 chemicals.  I went through a phase of x processing alot of film a few years back. I did get some interesting results but I didn't like the unpredictability of it in the end.

I understand. After all we are striving to get the best results possible from our cameras and films. 
Then again, one gets bored from time to time.  :)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »
The so called Agfa Precisa 100 developed fine and you can see some other images
from the roll in the weekend thread.