Author Topic: Denge Sound Mirrors  (Read 949 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Denge Sound Mirrors
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »
I am thinking of visiting Dungeness this week and would like to turn my Holga towards the sound mirrors.

My question is this:  I read on the internet there is no public access but is this still true?  What is the best way to get close to the mirrors?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Denge Sound Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:33 AM »
When we all went back in February this year, there was no access. There's some discussion about it in the meet-up thread at http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=5840.0

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »
this is as near as you can get, there is a swing bridge to allow access - but is usually closed

if you took your trunks you could probably get across

denge sound mirrors by donkerdave, on Flickr

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
It's a bit hard to find out who gives tours but after following links for a few minutes I finally got this info:    

ECHOES FROM THE SKY

We return to the familiar format and lead a free non-booking guided walk out to the Sound Mirrors, after the Open Day in mid July 2013. At the back of Lade Pit are the three Listening Devices built in the 1920’s and 30’s as part of a national early warning system against enemy aircraft. One of only two sites in the world where you can see all three designs, come and hear the fascinating story behind them. Suggested donation of £2 appreciated LEADER: Owen Leyshon, Romney Marsh Countryside Partnership (01797 367934 or 07770 670316). MEET: Lade car park on Coast Drive (half way between the Pilot Pub and Romney Sands) (TR 085 208) – Sat Nav – TN29 9PE. DISTANCE: 3 miles (2.5 hours). GRADE: 5 (We will be walking across the shingle, which might be hard for some people).

I'm sure if you were convincing enough they'd get a guide to go unlock the bridge for you.