Author Topic: Is anybody else underwhelmed by the overwhelming no of pics in Genesis?  (Read 1013 times)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Make no mistake. I absolutely adore a lot of the prints. They are nothing short of ethereal. But I think Salgado's book has been let down by poor editing. Some of the larger pictures are marred by being printed across the spine. Others are just printed too small to make an impact. I feel the editor has gone for too much quantity, there are over 400 images in the book. When finished, I was left with a feeling of having read a number of stories, rather than having viewed some fantastic fine art. It left me underwhelmed.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
Re: Is anybody else underwhelmed by the overwhelming no of pics in Genesis?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
I felt there was a lot of repetition of images. It took 7 years didn't it, perhaps the editor (seriously) wanted us to feel some of that time and effort.
The show itself had 250 images, that started to be hard work, half way through.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »
I went to see the exhibition when it was on in London.  The photography was excellent, as you'd expect, but the seven years it took saw the medium used bridge the transition from film to digital - and I was less than impressed by what I perceive as heavy-handed post processing, which I presume was to give the photos a common appearance. A lot of the photos are almost like monochrome HDR which some people will like but I don't. There are some stunning photos, I'll grant you, but I really wish he'd stuck to a more traditional "look" to the finished product.

As for the volume of photos, it did get a bit repetitive.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
Whilst I agree the exhibition had alot of images the subject matter  of the exhibition is huge and Salgado is trying to make a major statement about the state of our planet and I don't think you can make the statement he is trying to without a large number of images.

I liked the exhibition, it contained some wonderful images and yes some were more spectacular than others it would be hard to find a more impressive body of work elsewhere.

I particularly liked his portraits of the Amazonian tribe (can't remember the name) which I thought was a very intimate portrayal of a people whose world is under threat.

As for the whole digital vs film thing......sorry but I just couldn't give a monkey's what camera he used.  The message is what counts not the medium.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »
As for the whole digital vs film thing......sorry but I just couldn't give a monkey's what camera he used.  The message is what counts not the medium.

Me neither as I use both mediums very happily. However, I just think the presentation was compromised by trying to give the exhibition a cohesive "look".
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »

Me neither as I use both mediums very happily. However, I just think the presentation was compromised by trying to give the exhibition a cohesive "look".

I think the problem is actually you could quite happily split Genesis into 3 or 4 exhibitions and it is probably near impossible to mAntain a cohesive feel to a body of work taken over such a long period of time and covering such a vast topic.  In some ways I felt the exhibition was more of a retrospective of Salgado's work (not of his entire career, granted, but a part of it) rather than a tightly edited essay. 

Ultimately it's the subject matter that counts and you can't fault Salgado there.  Overall the gooduns outweighed the notsogooduns and whilst I was not tempted to buy the book I would recommend the exhibition to any one.

stevesegz

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:00:03 AM »
I eventually got to see the exhibition yesterday, I really enjoyed it, however it left me undecided because the positives and negatives were in equal measure and I left feeling.... well.... flat.

Positives, subject portrayal, all of the intimate portraits and social shots (in my view what Salgado is best at), magnitude of the project, the abstract landscapes ( Baobab trees and Caimans stick in my memory). Using black and white for nature shots where we are so used to seeing over saturated colour imagery.

Negatives, the sizing of the prints given the space they were in, many of which were better viewed from the opposite side of the room although you couldn't because there were people in the way. The use of varied sizes of print which did not seem to suit the subject matter, intimate subject, huge print. And my final thing, the prints themselves, the over sharpening of some of the images had birds looking like stickers on a kids sticker book, some of the fake grain was intrusive and the overall over use of high contrast spoilt things for me. Interestingly none of these qualities applied to the intimate portraits which were beautifully printed.

Maybe it is of my aesthetic preferences in a print and most of those who will visit the exhibition it won't matter too but I would love to see it again printed at 20x16 throughout and with more subtle finishing.

I didn't buy the book.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »
the platinum prints were 20x16 (or there abouts) and all the better for it

good summary Steve - I'm 100% with you