Author Topic: Suggestions for photography day trips from Oxford  (Read 917 times)

Nasir

• 35mm
    • Simply Oxford
Suggestions for photography day trips from Oxford
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:11 AM »
I've got 4 days off work coming up this week that's come up at short notice and I want to make good use of the time by doing some photographic day trips but at this short notice I'm struggling with deciding where to go. I'm in Oxford and I'll be driving, other than that I am open for suggestions. I don't mind too much on what to photograph be it landscape, architecture, people, I just want to use up lots of film, preferably of the large format variety.

So far I have a day trip to Brighton sorted to visit an old school friend.

Many thanks,
Nasir

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Suggestions for photography day trips from Oxford
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »
Pembrokeshire coast path - The Gower Peninsula and St Davids are lovely and you can also pop over to the Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains.

If you head to the West Country check out the cathedral city of Bath & Wells.  New Forest perhaps.

Or you could head up to Northumberland  - Alnwick and the Farne Islands are always worth a visit though that wouldn't work well with Brighton

Modified my earlier message -I misread your post and thought you were holidaying in Oxford.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
Avebury.

The Ridgeway (any bit you like).

London - OK, you can't do all of London but pick whatever suits you. You have the coach service to London from Oxford if you don't want to drive or, do what I do sometimes, and drive to Hillingdon (£6 to park all day) and get the tube.

Didcot Railway Centre (they have engines in steam on Wednesdays this month as well as the weekend).

Martinsell Hill (south of Marlborough). Get there early and hope for fog.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
Head west and south west to Gloucestershire / Somerset.

- Bath
- Worcester
- Somerset flats
- Cheddar Gorge

or Peter's suggestion of he Ridgeway is a lovely way of spending time in relative peace and quiet.

If you've got 4 days, you could always head north to the Peak District, Yorkshire Dales or The Lake District.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
You also have the Cotswolds on your doorstep. The Lavender at Snowshill near Broadway is in full bloom at the moment too.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Nasir

• 35mm
    • Simply Oxford
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Many thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Don't forget to come back and post some results Nasir.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »
I've only been to the UK as tourist, but I found Tintern Abbey on the Welsh border quite a nice subject for photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
I've only been to the UK as tourist, but I found Tintern Abbey on the Welsh border quite a nice subject for photography.

Yes, Tintern Abbey and the Wye Valley in general is nice. So is the Forest of Dean that's adjacent to it.