Author Topic: Crazy, 2 Minute Dream  (Read 707 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Crazy, 2 Minute Dream
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
This morning I passed out on the sofa while the kids were arguing with each other over a video game and I must have fallen asleep pretty quickly because I dreamed I was looking at a double page spread b/w photo of the British WWII General 'Monty' Montgomery addressing the troops in the African desert.

//my dream starts//

He was front and centre in the photo and we were very close to him. He had his arms held out in front of him and I noticed that he was clutching a camera in his right hand. The camera he was holding was really close to the camera which had taken the photo; so close you could get a good look at it. It was an unusual shape and at first I thought it was an SX-70, but although it was clear to me that it was a 600 format pack film camera, it was chunkier than the SX-70 and it was black. I then noticed that it had a big "Holga" logo across the top! Weirder still. The angle at which he was holding the camera meant I could see the underside of it too and I noticed the word 'Rosen' had been stuck on with a plastic labeling strip. I assume this was the name of the person who owned the camera.

Because it was a dream I noticed also that a side panel was open on Monty's camera and I could just make out 2 or 3 weird micro USB-like connectors.

I got very excited and wondered why I'd never seen such a camera before. It looked amazing.

//my dream ends//

....inevitably I got crushed under the weight of two fighting children soon after and woke up in a hurry to deal with them. It was only an hour or so later that I started thinking about Monty's camera again and was disappointed to realise that "it had all been a dream".

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Crazy, 2 Minute Dream
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Not sure whether dreaming about "Monty" is weirder than dreaming about a Holga / Polaroid hybrid with USB connectivity. It's a close call.

Anyhooo.....talking of weird, I wonder if Paul Mitchell has started work on the motor drive mechanism for his pinhole camera yet?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:53:11 PM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
Paul, that's a good point. Where the $%*! did Monty come from?

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Now waiting for Sean to show us his mockup of a SX-70-style Holgaroid with a pack film holder on the bottom.

Speaking of which, how does Polaroid do it? Pentaprism for the image path to the film? I guess I never really thought about how they orient the image 90° from the lens without flipping it horizontally.

Duh, lens flips the image once, simple mirror flips it again. I blame lack of caffeine this morning, but you may have different suspicions.

I found references to Polaroid having designed but not produced a pack film SLR but no images or sketches yet on my hunt.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:31:08 PM by Jack Johnson »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
I think you should keep this very quiet and quickly put a patent on it... Lomo's bound to make one as soon as they read this  :P
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.