Author Topic: Looking for some assistance with my new Rolfix  (Read 2330 times)

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
Looking for some assistance with my new Rolfix
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »
I just purchased an absolutely mint Franka Rolfix, (stamped on its leatherette is "Simpson's", plus "Made in Germany US-Zone") and am anxiously awaiting its arrival in my mailbox. It has a Schneider-Kreuznack Radionar f/4.5 lens, an 8-speed (plus "B") Prontor-S shutter, and simple pop-up viewfinder. I have been assured that this camera is in perfect working order, and I can easily glean from the seller's many detailed photos that its appearance is completely flawless. I can hardly wait to add this beautiful camera to my collection, and to start using it for capturing my Newfoundland landscapes.

I have owner's manuals for each and every vintage camera I own... except for this one! I have already spent hours searching online for a copy, to no avail. Yes, a few enterprising people out there are asking princely sums for an original manual, but I'd be quite content with a photocopy of one. So, first and foremost, I am interested in hearing from any of you who may own or be intimately familiar with this model, as before I start shooting I would like to learn of any tips/suggestions you may have. And secondly, I would be eternally grateful to anyone who may be kind enough to scan their owner's manual and email it to me. (I will happily pay you for your time)

This is my fifth medium format folder. I also own a Franka Solida 1, Voigtlander Perkeo 1, Ensign Ranger, and a 1917 Kodak Autographic 1A that I recently adapted to accommodate 120 film. (all are in pristine condition)

I am looking forward to connecting with my fellow Rolfix owners!

Thanks,
    Glen

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Looking for some assistance with my new Rolfix
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
Hi Glen!
How's the summer so far in NFL?

Have you checked out this link?
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rolfix/rolifix.htm

Not exactly an original instruction manual but it can very easily be turned into one using either Word or the free Scribus desktop publishing software (very good)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:17:50 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
Thanks Francois, very much appreciated.
  Glen

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
You're welcome :)
Francois

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
am I the only one who thought this was a typo for Rolleiflex?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
Well, at first I thought so but quickly noticed it wasn't the case. I didn't know about the Franks Rolfix before that. All I knew was that Franka was an old manufacturer... that's it.
Francois

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »
Rolfix R-Oll-Fiks (verb, slang) to be addicted or have addiction to Rollei cameras, also twin lens reflexes in general. Also can be used as noun, as in 'not shot anything in ages, I really need to go and get my Rolfix'

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
Camera has arrived!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
Just a follow-up to say that my Franka Rolfix folder arrived in yesterday's mail, and what a beauty it is!

It's always fun and exciting whenever one gets a camera, but wow, when I opened the parcel I was amazed at just how pristine this one is... in fact it truly looks as though it has never been handled... as if it has never seen a roll of film! I cannot for the life of me understand how a camera from the 1940's could be unused, but it certainly appears that way. The flawless chrome glistens, the leatherette is perfect, as is the lens. After my preliminary inspection everything is functioning precisely as it should.

I think I just may have a new favorite camera! I have some lovely condition vintage folders in my collection but, cosmetically at least, this one is by far the best of the lot. If my ailing spine allows, I plan to thoroughly test my Rolfix over the next several days. I will report back with my findings, and hopefully some photos.

Glen

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Great news there Glen!
It's rare that we find something in such good shape these days.

I really hope your back's going to give you a break so you can try it out :)
Francois

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
I've been bedridden these past few weeks, but I got outside today for a bit and took this photo of my lovely "new" Franka Rolfix. It is in perfect working order, and cosmetically is every bit as immaculate as the day it was made, some 66 years ago. This is the 30th camera in my ever-growing collection, and my fifth medium format folder; my other folders are a 1951 Franka Solida 1, 1953 Voigtlander Perkeo 1, 1951 Ensign Ranger, and a 1917 Kodak Autographic 1A.
(taken at the shoreline in front of my Fogo Island (Newfoundland) home using a Sony SLT-A57 and Sony 35mm f/1.8 prime @ 1/2000th sec, f/2.8, ISO 100)

Glen

My 1947 Franka Rolfix Medium Format Folder par Focus On Newfoundland, on ipernity
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:54:26 AM by Glen »

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Yes they are fine cameras. I have one lurking about the place somewhere - came out of rubbish skip and has some glue holding the infinity stop on the face. Works really well all the same - despite not needing some gaffer tape on it!
My advice is; stick some film in it and shoot.

Some of my snaps with it on Flickr. Note; the grainy snaps are meant to be like that. I used Kentmere Art Document as a neg and then enlarged it in the enlarger. http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=30505166@N00&q=rolfix
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:15:56 AM by Andrea. »