Author Topic: New guy intro...  (Read 4594 times)

OkieRA29

• 35mm
New guy intro...
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
Found this site through another of my addictions Japanese Nostalgic Cars.  Name is a clue to what I own and where I live.  Being a 'film-slinging-dinosaur' is in my DNA.  Grandmother was a photographer and got me into it.  First camera was an Argus brick, which I still have some where.  After that came a late '62 vintage Nikon F with the bulls-eye meter.  Since then it has just gotten worse.   Was a newspaper guy for a bit, but succumbed to the dark side of television quite some time ago.  Never stopped playing with the still cameras.  I was a Nikon guy at heart, with a F, F2 and two F3HPs in the case.  When I was given all of my grandmother's cameras, my eyes were opened to smalll format rangefinders.  I fixed both of her broken Olympus 35RCs and started to use them.  In researching those 2 cameras, I discovered Russian Leica and Contax copies... it was all downhill from there.  The stable now includes Zorki 3,3M and 4; a FED 2; a 1948 Kiev 2 and a Kiev 4.  I still have and shoot with all my Nikons and have recently started branching out into Japanese vintage rangefinders.  Although the Nikon S series and the Canon Leica copies are beyond my price range right now.  Here are some shot of and with the Russian ladies.

Zorki 3, fresh off the boat!

Shot with the Zorki 3 on the same day it came in

Early 1949 Kiev 2 with ZK 50mm, after a small amount of CLA

Favorite shot from the Kiev 2 of a buddy's son

Early Zorki 4 with the engraved shutter dial(speeds don't wear off like the others)

Shot from the Zorki 4

Notice that I really only have pics of the russian stuff.   I haven't really bought any lately, they have gotten way expensive.  Started buying them for 10-20 bucks a piece and CLA-ing them myself.  Now, they are showing up in Pottery Barns and such for crazy 'designer' prices.

Hope to learn and grow abit by being here and maybe help some myself.  I won't post everyday, but I will lurk every chance I get.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: New guy intro...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
Welcome Okie!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »
Hi 

I've got a Zorki 10. Love the look of it, but find it a little difficult to focus. The very long exposure arm causes shake sometimes too, but I really want to take it out this summer (if it ever arrives in the UK) and try and master it.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

OkieRA29

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
I also have a Zorki 6, which in my opinion is the best of the Zorki line if you can find a good one.  It has a hinged back, longbase rangefiner, larger bright sight window and an advance lever.  It is simple to work on and simple to operate.  The advance lever can some times have issues and be a bit ratchety to operate.  If you can locate a good one(check with oleg...http://www.okvintagecamera.com/) they are a thing of joy as far as I am concerned.  I wish that the Russian copies had started getting popular.  I won't tell you what I got my Kiev 2 for, but you would be hard pressed to buy dinner for two with the money I spent on it.  The zorki 3 and 3M were the same way.  Still amazed at what true Leicas bring!

Oh yeah, the Zorki 3 does still need some work as it has a few light leaks, but nothing that stops me from using it!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:30:53 PM by OkieRA29 »

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
Welcome! I am already in love with your cameras!

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »
I thought I recognized that username! I dont post on JNC all that much.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

stevesegz

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »
Welcome to filmwasters.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:25:47 AM »
Welcome. Make sure you don't miss the rest of our site - the podcasts, guest galleries and so on. Looking forward to seeing more of your pics.

L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
Welcome. Nice bunch of stuff.

Look forward to seeing your posts...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Welcome!
You've come to the right place as lots of us have multiple cameras and shoot various formats!
Love the sight of your cameras so far and the pictures are right nice too!

What part of OK are you in?  I'm your neighbor to the west in NM.

Again welcome, and hope to see more of your photos!!!
 8)

OkieRA29

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Oh, I have already made use of some of the resources.  Very intrigued by the Caffenol process.  I have some bulk tmax sitting in the fridge that I plan to shoot this weekend at a Cars and Coffee event.  Only problem is the Tmax is so old, I don't remember the speed.  I am going to shoot and process like it is 100 and go from there.  I will need to get a scanner...   Haven't developed and/or printed my own stuff in years.  I have been cheap and just taken it to walgreens down the street.  I know the guy running the photo department and he lets me know when the chemicals are good.  5 bucks for C-41 and a disc, plus he lets me look at the film before he scans it so I can decide if I want a CD or not. 
Oh yeah, I am in Oklahoma City proper about 20 miles north of where the recent tornado went through.   I have been here in OKC for about 20 years or so, came from the east coast originally.  TK, I don't post as much as I used to on JNC, but I do lurk there daily. 

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
I have to agree with you on the Zorki 6. I am quite smitten with mine. Here's some of my favorite shots from it.

I got mine (along with a Lubitel 166B) from here: http://www.fedka.com/catalog/
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
Welcome Mr. Zorki!  Sure you will enjoy this place and its population  :D

Carlos.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
RE: New guy intro...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
Welcome! 
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

OkieRA29

• 35mm
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
Limr, nice stuff from that Zorki!  Haven't bought from Fedka in quite a bit.  I had a seller on Ebay that I frequented who would hook me up the parts and stuff when I needed them.  I do need to find a decent/cheap Elmar folder for my Zorki.  It came with the Industar 26 and it makes it a bit bulky for a pocket camera.  Thinking I may just set it with my Jupiter 12 and make it a dedicated street shooter rig.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
Welcome to Filmwasters - most of us are quite nice  :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
Oh yeah! Uncle Phil's a real Bada**!  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 01:48:56 AM »
Those cameras are quite pretty and the photographs you've shared are wonderfu, too!

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
Welcome Okie. I like your collection I've had several Zorkies but always end up giving them away, the Jupiter is a very good lens...
Mark Antony
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
Oh yeah! Uncle Phil's a real Bada**!  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Absolutely. He's not known as "Terrorkitten" for no good reason...... :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
LOL  ;D

We all love Uncle Phil!  :)
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Welcome welcome! Be sure to come back often! We don't bite

OkieRA29

• 35mm
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
I am around everyday, but don't really post unless I have something to actually say that is useful.  I did not get out much on saturday to shoot film as I spent most of the early morning with the TV camera on my shoulder covering damage.  Doesn't mean I didn't take pics... crappy Iphone stuff

I did shoot some film at the scene, but haven't had a chance to develop it.  That pic was about 7:30 am or so.  That was part of the roof of the technical school in the background.  Most of the campus is destroyed.  The Circulation passed about 4 miles to the south of my house, but we received no damage.  We did get some hail and luckily, it was all nickel sized or smaller.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »
Pfew!
Francois

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Yes, wow words fail me when I try to express my sorrow for your community.
Regards
Mark
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »
Oh, I have already made use of some of the resources.  Very intrigued by the Caffenol process.  I have some bulk tmax sitting in the fridge that I plan to shoot this weekend at a Cars and Coffee event.  Only problem is the Tmax is so old, I don't remember the speed.  I am going to shoot and process like it is 100 and go from there.  I will need to get a scanner...   Haven't developed and/or printed my own stuff in years.  I have been cheap and just taken it to walgreens down the street.  I know the guy running the photo department and he lets me know when the chemicals are good.  5 bucks for C-41 and a disc, plus he lets me look at the film before he scans it so I can decide if I want a CD or not. 
Oh yeah, I am in Oklahoma City proper about 20 miles north of where the recent tornado went through.   I have been here in OKC for about 20 years or so, came from the east coast originally.  TK, I don't post as much as I used to on JNC, but I do lurk there daily.

Yeah traffic on JNC has gone down quite a bit in the past couple years. A few posts see regular activity but admins mostly just post on the front page these days. I guess with no magazine, there is less reason to promote something, it just exists as a site that is. Welcome to Filmwasters, though! always something happening here...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »
Welcome to FilmWasters OKIE !!  :)

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.