Author Topic: Direct positive in 6x9 KW Etui camera  (Read 2348 times)

damiand

Direct positive in 6x9 KW Etui camera
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
I bought this almost mint condition 6x9 KW Etui camera half year ago.
It comes with 6x9 film adapter , unfortunately I don't have film holders.

This one is top model with 12 cm 4.5 Zeiss Tessar lens. Finally last weekend I shoot first direct positive with it. Those are first pictures to try find correct exposure with my lights ( 3 slightly longer Mississippi's at f4.5) .

I also find reason why my direct aren't that contrasty . I am using Ikea plastic red table light with 25 watt bulb inside. While cutting paper for 6x9 I figured out that its not safest light :) . I am developing this paper ( bathroom ) about 1,5 meter from light first minute diffuse light with my back and after image is appear I am checkin it very close to light. It didn't give me fog and pictures taking some light showing more middle tones. 

astrobeck

Re: Direct positive in 6x9 KW Etui camera
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
Excellent results!   8)

You should check out the work by pinhole artist David Wise.

He has some times worked out with Direct pos paper on his blog that I think will be helpful.

http://www.davewise.biz/numa/index.html#home

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »
For the safelight, you could also change the bulb to a lower wattage bulb or switch to a red LED light. I heard that the rear bike lights and LED trailer lights work very well.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »
even though red LED lights should have a really tight curve of what kind of light they're emitting I think I've managed to fog some ortho film with a bike light.
next time I'll get more lights so I can have them from a greater distance. I had mine on half a meter away and sometimes closer while inspecting development.
/jonas

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »
Nice! I have a Voigtlander with plenty darkslides for dry plates... this could be fun!
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:53 PM »
even though red LED lights should have a really tight curve of what kind of light they're emitting I think I've managed to fog some ortho film with a bike light.
next time I'll get more lights so I can have them from a greater distance. I had mine on half a meter away and sometimes closer while inspecting development.
Too bad all the Christmas stuff has been liquidated. There are those new LED mini lights that usually come on liquidation for ultra cheap once the holidays are gone.
Last year, after New Years, a local grocery store was liquidating them for something like 1$ for a length of 50 lights!
The only drawback with the AC powered lights (no power supply) is that they flash at the same rate as the power's phase (60 times a second in America, 50 in Europe). This is very annoying and hard on the eyes.
Francois

damiand

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:53 PM »
astrobeck: Thank You . I checked his website great stuff !

Francois: Thank You for tips , your creativity is cool.

jojonas~ : Yes good idea i have just on led red light from bike need to check next time.

sapata: looking foreword for Your Voigtlander exposures :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »
Thanks Damiand!
Francois