Author Topic: Question for the Polaroid lovers...  (Read 2799 times)

ThomasHealy

• 35mm
Question for the Polaroid lovers...
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
Hey guys I have a question for you.  I currently shoot a Polaroid 600se and love it.  But as you know, it is big and bulky.  I am looking for another pack film camera to carry around on a more regular basis.  I realize none of them are in anyway pocket-able but I usually have some kind of bag with me.  My criteria is that I would like one with manual settings.  I like to shoot portraits.  I'd like to not have to use flash bulbs/magic cubes.  I usually shoot with Fuji FP-3000b.  So I'm thinking my choices are Fotorama FP-1 (expensive), Polaroid 195 (expensive), Polaroid Conversion (also likely expensive).  Am I missing anything?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

-Thomas

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Question for the Polaroid lovers...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »
The 180 looks sweet and cheaper..

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
conversions can be cheap if you do it yourself, but the focus will never be perfect close up and wide open. I have done one (105mm lens to a normal pack camera) and it works well but for portraits could be frustrating I guess if you missed focus a few times.

I have a 195 that I saved up for and love.

The 180 is also a great camera. The manual ones seem to have got very pricey lately...  :(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
Or, if you're into electronics, you can take a regular folding pack camera and replace the automatic circuitry by an arduino microcontroller, a rotary encoding switch, a bit of code and hook it all up to the shutter's magnetic control...

The arduino mini comes to mind
http://www.makershed.com/Arduino_Mini_R05_p/mksp17.htm

It should also be available through Element14 or Newark
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
Hey Thomas, which flash cubes or magic cubes do you use, I have some spares you may be able to use to get you through a few more projects...just a thought.  To give you, I don't want anything for them, just to know they're going to good use...

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
My 110A conversion was certainly not that expensive. But to be honest, it will be as big, if not bigger than the 600SE, though may weigh an smidgen less. Can´t see the point really. A 180 would do you fine. Or you could shell out for a manual "option" from Nate (Option8 on flickr). He does many a conversion, including taking 100 type auto pack film cameras and doing one of several manual conversions. Either just replacing the electric eye with a circuit that can be manually controlled, or replacing lens with a regular shuttered 127 or similar. The latter should be quite easy for most people with no more than the usual two thumbs.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »

The 180 is also a great camera. The manual ones seem to have got very pricey lately...  :(

Ridiculously pricey.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

ThomasHealy

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
Ok, a couple of things.  Thanks for all the responses.  Unfortunately, I am in no way crafty/or handy so making my own conversion or modifying a camera is really out of my wheelhouse.  I will take a look at the 180 as well. I'll probably end up with something from Option 8 or an FP-1.

-Thomas

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
there are reviews of the FPI http://moominsean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/its-fuji-fotorama-fp-1-style.html and the Konica instant press here: http://moominsean.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/konica-instant-press.html/

and reviews of the 180 vs 195 and the FP1 in the articles section of this site. all worth reading.

I 'think' the FPI would be more than a 180/195? they seem to go for about £250-300 at the moment... compared to more than that for the fp1

good luck!

(edited to incude links)

ot maybe you could go for this! http://www.sendeancameras.co.uk/sendeancameras-Polaroid195Pro.htm - ridiculous!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:09:46 PM by Chalky »

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »
keep in mind that with the 195/180 you will want the portrait kit to go along with it. I have it for my 195 and love it. I bought mine from Cory at Landcameras.com in Seattle. I had the goggles, so I only bought the lens set.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
There are deals out there if you take your time. I got my 190 from japan for $200 a couple years ago. Both my 195 and 180 cost me around $200 each but I got them awhile ago. I got my Konica on craigslist for around $650, and the Fuji cost me more like $900. I'd say the 180 is probably the cheapest of the bunch at this point. These are pretty much your only manual choices aside from the Mamiya Universal, which is the same as the 600, the super expensive NPC cameras, or a conversion. I honestly found my 110 conversion to bulky and awkward to use. Not sure about option8's stuff, but they aren't cheap cameras. You'd be better off with a 180/190/195.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »
In case I made a mess of explaining Nate's different conversions. Yes he may be most renound for his 110/900 type pack film conversions, but he also does several types of conversions on type 100 pack film cameras. Donate a 100/250/350/360/450 or similar to him and let him either just replace the electric eye with a manual electronic control, or swap lens for a manual leaf shuttered 127 or similar. The former being the cheapest route, and arguably more versatile. Faster and more reliable shutter speeds, all the accessory lenses still work (close up, portrait etc lenses).

Not at all related to Nate, but I did swipe the 110A/B with 600SE backs idea from him. ;)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible