Author Topic: New website pimping  (Read 1957 times)

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
New website pimping
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
In an attempt to do something other than 4x5 shaped and Black and White I made 2012 the year of mostly the Panoramic format. Actually fulfilling a project in the time frame and getting it out at the beginning of 2013. The Year long project will  continue this year (which obviously stops it being a year long project!) as I've got another 2 Galleries in progress that will need another year to finish.

It's still work in progress, tested on Macbook/ipad mini/iphone if anyone can break it please let me know.

Obviously it's all film, and almost all widelux and noblex swing lens.

Any critical comments welcome!

www.widelife.co.uk

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: New website pimping
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
It looks great.  Like the how the dropdowns at the left work.  Clever name.

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Awesome stuff. I like how you really use the format--know what I mean? Like, hyperconscious of the wideness in the composition. Nice.
This one is phenomenal:

Site is great, too. Clean and simple.

On a related note, Jeff Bridges uses a Wideluxe on all of the sets of movies he's in. Worth a look: http://www.jeffbridges.com/photojan10a.html
(not to derail the thread).

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »
Awesome stuff. I like how you really use the format--know what I mean? Like, hyperconscious of the wideness in the composition. Nice.
This one is phenomenal:

Site is great, too. Clean and simple.

On a related note, Jeff Bridges uses a Wideluxe on all of the sets of movies he's in. Worth a look: http://www.jeffbridges.com/photojan10a.html
(not to derail the thread).

+ 1

viewed this earlier and love the alternative compositions !

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
I really like what I see! Maybe 2013 will be the year where I will try a camera like this, too. But probably one of the cheaper ones :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »
The website and the images are great. Nice design.

My only criticism is that the next and previous image buttons are quite small and fiddly to use on my tablet (10 inch 2560x1600 resolution 299dpi screen) and the play button didn't do anything on chrome for android. Don't think that counts as breaking it though :)
L.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
ooh ok Leon, will look into it - thanks

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Looks splendid! :)
/jonas

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
Do you have any tips for someone like me who would like to take some panoramic photos? Iso for indoors? How slow is too slow for handheld? Focusing is controlled by aperture right? :)

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
Sorry Rafael I missed this. I'm no expert, but happy to offer some advice. It's a very challenging format as it is so inclusive. Photography can be hard as its all about including the details you need and excluding all the clutter and stuff you don't, from this point of view painters have it easy.

You have 3 choices, Widelux, Noblex and Horizon. All have issues and problems unfortunately and my widelux has been fixed twice in 12 months due to banding issues. However for some reason it produces the best images, not necessary in sharpness, I can just compose with it better. The widelux and Horizon use aperture for focusing, some noblex models allow you zone focusing. You can look all the details up on google.

The trick, which I have not mastered - is to get close. Landscapes look distant and bland, busy crowds and built up areas are where these cameras seem to shine. I compose with my eyes, what you can see the camera can see, the viewfinder is a rough guide only. I hold it against my chest most of the time, all the indoor shots are a 1/15 second, which is a rotation of around 3-4 seconds. Hold you breath, look down at the camera, point it where you want the center of the composition to be, press the button, and stare at the bubble level, keeping it level. That's the best technique for 1/15 second shots. At 1/125 and above you can relax more and use the viewfinder if you wish. I shoot Tmax400 at 1600 and HP5 at 3200 to get the aperture into a zone where most things are in focus.

Get close, I can't say that enough, its very wide angle you have to be in people's faces to get decent shots. I am still working on this, only having ever shot street in this last 12 months, and living in the back of beyond gives me little opportunity!

The best images, have something going on in all areas of the frame - this can be difficult to achieve, although i do like some of my images that have a deliberately open area - some of them work, some of them don't. You need to waste a lot of film!

This guy in my humble opinion is the best exponent of the format, he is a genius.

http://www.lasthein.se/

Email me through the site any time.

Dave

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
just a quick shot, to test after the widelux was fixed again - 1/15 second (so a 4 second rotation - so the moving escalator blurs)

I was only a foot away from his moustache

moustache by donkerdave, on Flickr

weird movement effect at 1/15

supermans flight by donkerdave, on Flickr

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 09:09:55 PM »
I love that weird distortion of moving subjects on the swing barrel lenses.  Ed did some gig shots a while ago on a Horizon with similar results. They were superb:

The Unknown: Live in London by Ed Wenn, on Flickr

The Unknown: Live in London by Ed Wenn, on Flickr

(Hope you don't mind the links Ed)
L.

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:33:20 AM »
Thank for the info DonkeyDave and Leon. I just got a Horizon camera yesterday. It was my birthday! I "wasted" a roll to see how the camera works and how I would handle it.  I will keep "get close" in mind when using the camera.  :D

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
Have fun, don't be afraid of the slow speeds.