9 (20.9%)
view camera
2 (4.7%)
toy camera
10 (23.3%)
pinhole
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Quickie poll  (Read 3070 times)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Quickie poll
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
Curious about the poll feature, and curious about your self-reflection. :)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Quickie poll
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »
My slr is MF :-)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
Me three!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
I have, genuinely, no idea what my "best" images are. The ones I've enjoyed looking at most (of late) have been taken with my Mamiya 7 - which is a medium format rangefinder.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
I hve to say that the results that I enjoy the most are still from my toys~ ;)
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
My poll post may have been wishful thinking on my part, or maybe just the bulk of the better shots.  In reality though, best in different genres tend to be from different machines.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
First of all I think I "like" my stuff with pinholes & toycameras..I guess because I get unique images/sort of quirky but definitely my signature style. And MF does it everytime.
Great idea doing this poll.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
By far with my Toy Cameras...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
:)

I have this problem, the camera I'm holding is always the one I want to shoot with. Often when I'm running out the door in the morning I'll go to grab a camera and I'll think, "Oh yeah, that's the one!" Then I'll see another that I have fond memories of, pick it up and have the exact same thought, even though it may be a different type of camera.

So I started looking through my pictures, looking at my Flickr postings by popularity, and wondered if I'm more consistent with one camera or another. With my MF stuff, occasionally there would be an image I thought I had taken with my TLR but it turned out to be my RF or vice versa. With my 35mm, sometimes I would recall an SLR image as better than it turned out to be. :P (Side-effect of pentaprism shooting, or just my baggage?)

I was also thinking about On Being a Photographer and how we're not always the best judge of our own work, but you know, we all have images we're not ashamed of. Hopefully. :)

Too much thinking, not enough shooting!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »
I was also thinking about On Being a Photographer and how we're not always the best judge of our own work, but you know, we all have images we're not ashamed of. Hopefully. :)

dammit I regret giving my copy of that book to a friend! haha..
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »

I don't actually "like" much of what I produce and I agree that, probably, we are not the best judge of our own work. However, from my own perspective, I disagree that there's too much thinking.....

I am very critical of my own work and, in particular, I get really annoyed with myself for being lazy when it comes to executing the shot that I want / know I can deliver. This is particularly true when the circumstances allow me to set up a shot (I'm thinking about landscapes) and I then decide to do little more than "point and shoot". With a bit more thought and using a tripod, metering correctly, locking up mirrors and using a remote release, I know I could get the fundamental and technical elements of the shot nearer to where they should be, given the kit I have available.

Leon made a valid point a few weeks ago in that it's possible to have too much kit. Maybe it's better to say that choosing the right kit for the job is the key. It's been a lesson very long in the learning but, if I'm shooting landscapes, I won't be carrying 35mm again as I can't remember the last time I liked a landscape I took on that format.

Thanks for this thread and helping me to clear my mind on a few things.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
Hi, I'm back after a short period in the wilderness - I think my best are with toy cameras, others may disagree.

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
cant believe theres such a rift between slr and rangefinder!

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
I think the results would be different if this was an 'in order of preference' type poll. I certainly have taken some of my favourite shots with rangefinders and would one day love to invest in some higher quality rangefinder kit (when I have paid off my silly expensive acoustic guitar) I just think that SLRs are easier to come by, so more people have used them for longer... if you see what I mean...