Author Topic: Found a film supplier in Canada!  (Read 1410 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Found a film supplier in Canada!
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
Yes! I finally found them and gave them a try.
Yesterday afternoon, I called up a Toronto store called FilmPlus to put an order for some 127 format film.
And I can say I've been more than pleased with the service!
It's one of those small stores like we usually love them. No fuss and impeccable service. The person I spoke to was very pleasant.
And shipping was the biggest surprise. The film was put through the mail on the same day I called (that is yesterday afternoon)... and it managed to fly home to be here today... impressive.

So, I now have 4 rolls of fresh Agfa Rollei Retro 80s sitting on my desk just begging me to put them into my new 3D camera :)

So anyways, I've added them to the resources board in case anyone needs the reference :)
http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=5424.0
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: Found a film supplier in Canada!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
Im so glad it all worked out for you Francois! Next time im downtown i'll be sure to take some shots of the shop and post them up here for everyone to get some sort of reference!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
Great news, Francois. I know it's been a bit of a struggle recently in Canadia finding decent suppliers. Let's hope you buy enough 127 to keep the shop in the black!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
I definitely hope they will stay for a long time. Just not having to deal with customs brokerage is a big relief!
Francois

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
I am Canadian, and yes, I would certainly prefer to shop in Canada, but a what cost?

Francois, I find that I am still far ahead of the game by purchasing my film and darkroom supplies from B&H or Freestyle (online) in the USA. Even after shipping and, yes, duty/brokerage, it is still much cheaper than Film Plus, or any other Canadian retailer that I have found. And I have it at my door in five days. (not bad, considering that I live on a very remote island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland!) 

If I could afford to do my shopping for film/darkroom supplies here in Canada, I would. But I am getting it so much cheaper from the USA that it would be ludicrous for me to buy from a place like Henry's, Film Plus, Vistek, etc. just to possibly receive it a few days sooner. The order I just received from B&H (35mm and 120 roll film, darkroom supplies, chemicals) cost me precisely $68 less than if I had placed the exact same order from the cheapest Canadian store! (even after shipping charge, duty, brokerage fees, exchange rate) And with B&H there is no need "to deal with customs brokerage", as it is included in the shipping price.

Glen
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:25:42 AM by Glen »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
Actually, 127 might be the exception to that. Each roll cost me 8.95$. At Freestyle, it would have been 11.19USD. Same for B&H.
But Shipping is always the killer on things like this. At Freestyle, it would have cost me 12USD for Fedex shipping. At B&H, it's 8.53USD for Purolator. But FilmPlus charged me only 6.00$ for Xpresspost shipping. Even if I had to pay 5% tax, it still comes out ahead.

The total for my order was 43.89$, at B&H, it would have been 62.80USD
I don't know how expensive shipping to NFL is, but for me, this works out really fine.
Francois

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
Hi Francois,

That is indeed great news that you are actually able to get 127 film cheaper here in Canada! I sure wish it was the same for 35mm and 120, but unfortunately no such luck, though I am continuously searching for an affordable Canadian alternative. Same goes for the Ilford chemicals; I just can't resist B&H's selection and pricing, even after shipping and duty/brokerage are worked into the equation.

What camera(s) do you shoot 127 film with?

best regards,
  Glen

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »
I usually don't buy 127 cameras for other things than sitting on the shelf. But the other day, at an antique store, I stumbled onto a Coronet 3-D camera with the binocular viewfinder. I just couldn't leave it there and couldn't leave it sitting on a shelf!

I've never tried 3-D photography so I had to give this one a try. And it's an expensive puppy to feed... it takes only 4 stereo pairs on a roll. That's like almost 3$ per picture... but it looks so funky :)

Here's what it looks like

I found the image here http://www.stereoskopie.com/Stereokameras/Stereokameras_nach_1945/body_stereokameras_nach_1945.html
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:27:30 AM »
Im bumping these up with some shots of the store! Very friendly, very film driven people. Please support these guys!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
Thanks for checking it out!

I just love small shops like that. Small place yet they seem to have pretty much everything you could need :)
Francois