Author Topic: Long term film storage  (Read 1313 times)

Mil Mascaras

Long term film storage
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
Hello FW's. Haven't been around the board in a while... tons of stuff going on and I haven't had much of a chance to shoot film (no time to develop, and travelling all over ex-Yugoslavian towns and cities for days at a time only made it difficult to find anything - even Superia or something).

Anyway, in 2 months I will leave my flat in London, put everything in storage on a friend's garage (and some stuff on my parents' home), and start travelling around the world for an undetermined period of time (most likely 12 to 18 months). I have a lot of film that I won't use, mostly Polaroid and Fujifilm pack film, but that I don't want to sell or lose. I'd love to take the GOOSE (600SE) around the world with me but, well, it weights like a ton of bricks and there's the obvious cost and difficulty of finding the film on the road.

Do you have any storage advice? I should be able to find a relatively cool place without temperature changes, though a fridge is not going to be possible. But any tips and tricks from somebody who has had film stored long term will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Long term film storage
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Well, for the stuff you leave behind, putting it all in a chest in a cool place is the simplest thing to do. Since the film is always wrapped in a way that humidity can't get to it, there shouldn't be any problem as long as it doesn't get flooded.

But if you want to be on the safe side, you can put some desiccant packs in the box.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Hi Mil.

Just a quick note to wish you well on your travels. I'm truly envious - it's something that my wife and I would love to be able to do but I doubt we will ever have the courage.

Best wishes and be safe.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
Thank you Francois. I believe that you truly are this message board's MVP. Whatever that means!!!

Paul: Courage??? Won't you rather regret something you did than something you didn't do? :) But I hear you. I am in my early 30s, and you won't believe the number of ex-colleagues in their mid 40s who regret not doing it before and are thinking about doing it later in life.

Thanks for the wishes and hopefully someday you and your wife decide to take a few months off and see whatever parts of the world you are most anxious to see.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
Hi Mil, how long-term is long-term and how much stuff do you have? The reason I ask is that I have a small film fridge in my shed here in South London and I could store your stuff for you if it'll fit in.

EDIT: OK, I see that you've already said 12-18 months.