Author Topic: Olympus XA Series  (Read 31504 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Olympus XA Series
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »
I've been on the hunt for an XA or XA2 lately. At first I was all about getting the XA, thinking I wanted the aperture value setting and the actual rangefinder, but now I'm leaning more towards the zone focus quickness of the XA2.

Anyone has any experience with both and can give advice?
I've had both the original XA and XA3. I kind of regret letting the XA3 go as it was less fuzz focusing with. I've never had a pleasant moment trying to use the rangefinder on the XA. sure, the 2.8 lens, longer shutter speed in low light and being able to see the shutter speed in the viewfinder are all nice traits.. but it's not the quick snapper that the XA3 was. I think there's something with the shape of the bulge over the lens and the more matte finish that doesn't make it as easy to pull up too.
I think the XA3 was nice with how when you closed the clam shell it automatically set the distance to a middle setting so you could get most stuff in focus if just opening it real quick and taking a snap when the light is ok.

I think what I really want is the XA4~ extra wide with the 28mm! and the ability to focus closer.
anyone tried that one?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:31:43 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »
I think what I really want is the XA4~ extra wide with the 28mm! and the ability to focus closer.
anyone tried that one?
No, I keep looking for one on eBay but they seem to be quite expensive. People pay over £100 for them regularly.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2012, 03:21:08 PM »
...people pay over £100 for them regularly.

Humm... not quite sure I´d spend all that money for a camera I want to leave baking iside my car or left forever in a bag with no case to protect etc... The good thing in my opinion about the XAs is the value for money.

Few more shots from same roll yet, the light leak on first pic is because I accidentally opened the back of the camera with the film inside  :P

Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
I loved my Olympus XA but recently got hold of 2, XA2s at a carboot so am selling one of the xa2's and my xa and keeping one xa2... wow what a mouthful... (check out the sales section for my 'MASSIVE CLEAROUT!' post

great cameras with a pretty cool design I think, With the A11 screw on flash they are seriously versatile little dudes.

mart

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »
Have any of you ever had/used Canon's version, the Canon MC? Comments.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »
By looking at the pictures, It doesn´t seems to be as pocketable as the Olympus...

I´ve always been a huge fan of Canon equipments but this one is really ugly! ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
The 1/8th minimum shutter speed on the Canon MC is pretty limiting compared to the XAs

mickld

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »
Oh dear. I got one and and a half rolls through my XA2 and it broke!. Feels like the shutter is locked on so that if fires automatically when I wind on the next frame. Ah well - I got it from ffords.com for not too much money and they offer a 3 month warranty so I should be okay.

I really liked it too. So did my wife, actually! I'll definitely try to replace it with another or something similar.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
My first one died, so I just bought a brace of XA2 for a twenty note.  Or less, really, as the deal included four rolls of film.   8)

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 09:32:31 PM »
God! So many broken XAs that I feel scared of using mine now... it is like the LC-A in every single aspect! ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
Olympus XA Series
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
Eh, cameras are meant to be used. If it breaks from it, at least it's had a warrior's death.

I am remembering why I like the XA2 so much after taking both it and my big Fuji MF rangefinder out to a street fair. I should have just taken the XA2 really - I barely used the Fuji.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff