Author Topic: Lake District visit  (Read 2456 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Lake District visit
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
Hey guys
Come the middle of next month along with my wife, my sister and her husband I have a week in a cottage near Lake Windermere. Now I'm hoping to get a day off on my own just shooting, so I wondered is there any spots that any one is familiar with, that will aid me running from one end of the lakes to another, bearing in mind that I'm not a landscape photographer and will most likely only have the one day on my own. I will have a car, don't mind a walk and not especially worried about getting the touristy shots as long as I can make an attempt at gettting something.
Cheers Irv

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Lake District visit
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »
Hi Irv.

Once you're out of Windermere, you can virtually pint your camera anywhere and get a great shot  ;)

If you want "rugged", head west out of Ambleside towards Elterwater. The road round and through Chapel Stile has some awesome views and joins back up with the road over the Wrynose and Hardnott passes and on towards Eskdale. If the steam train is still running, a trip on it is worth the ££ in my opinion.

A walk up Rydal Fell outside of Grasmere is a lovely way to spend an afternoon - with views over the village and Rydal Water. Grasmere also has THE best gingerbread on this little green and blue planet.

A bit further afield (to the north) is Keswick. This is my favourite place in the Lakes and has the benefit of boat trips round Derwent Water. On the north west tip of Derwent Water is Hawes End - the start of the ascent up Cat Bells (a great little hill) which leads on to Maiden Moor and High Spy. You can descend (steeply) at High Scawdel towards Rosthwaite at the back of Castle Crag. Actually, Castle Crag is a nice walk with some lovely vistas back down Derwewnt Valley towards Keswick.

If the weather's crap, the Allerdale Ramble (a lower level wander along Derwent Water below the walk mentioned above is pleasant if not inspirational.

If you're up for a slog, there's always Skiddaw. There's a lot of it but it's not tricky and the view is stunning from the top late afternoon with the sun dropping.

Alternatively, there's a superb walk from Seathwaite Farm, up Sour Milk Ghyll, past Base Brown and Brandreth, up Green Gable, down Windy Gap and on to the summit of Great Gable (which overlooks Wastwater). Return down Aaron Slack to Styhead Tarn, hang a left and follow Styhead Gill until you get back to Seathwaite.

Whatever you do, take the right gear. Always expect rain and don't go off well trodden tracks unless you know how to map read in low cloud and/or howling wind and rain.

Hope that helps.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
It's years since I was up in the Lakes.  I always liked Wasdale Head, and the walk up to Scafell Pike.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
Thanks Paul that is just what I'm looking for some great ideas there that have really whetted my appetite :)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »
MY sisters fiance's family has a cottage at the bottom of lake windemere and we went there last year, it was stunning! depending what type of shots you want to take there  are plenty of opportunities.

some of my favourite shots came from

"norma" by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr

Lake district village. by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr

someone thought they had climbed the same mountain in the second shot ( read the comments of flickr) here was my reply, " right down the road from grasmere! If you go down red bank road and you find a little cafe which has a jetti and a few boats for hire, I took the next couple of shots in my photostream from there facing the lake and for the shot above I simply spun the camera round on the tripod :-) I will geotag them for you so you can see!"

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »
Cheers Thom! We are staying near Windermere too, so hopefully I can get some shots somewhere as good as those two you posted!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »
A walk up to Swinside stone circle is worth taking, its a very peaceful place, and picturesque also (sorry, cant find my pics to show you - it is wrth it though). Stopping off on the road between Buttermere and Crummock Water can bring some nice shots too:

L.