Author Topic: Horseman 980/985 and film backs  (Read 4082 times)

Kelly.ONeill

• 35mm
  • yup thats me
Horseman 980/985 and film backs
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
Hey guys I am just getting into technical cameras and am considering getting a Horseman 980 or 985 so that I can use medium format film because I don't have a darkroom to do 4x5s yet. However, I am confused as to which backs can fit on these cameras. Do they have to be Horseman brand 120 backs or can I get a Graflex back and make it work? Any info you guys have on this topic would be super helpful cause info on the innerwebs is kind of hard to come by and decipher for a beginner  :o Any help would really be appreciated  :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Horseman 980/985 and film backs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
Here is some of the information you're looking for
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Horseman_980

If Leon could drop-in, I think he has one and would be better placed to give you an opinion.

Unless you plan on never shooting sheet film, I would be tempted to go for a 4x5 anyways. They have roll film backs too.

But on the other hand, a Horseman with a graflock back that accepts all backs (the VH and VHR models) would be a great piece of kit...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
i use the Horseman 6x9 back and 2 Mamiya RB67 backs on mine.  The Mam backs fit fine - especially later ones.  I've read that others have had difficulties on their 985s and also VHs with Mam backs, so I think it is all down to your specific camera.

One thing I'd say, if you were thinking of using movements - most of the topcor lenses designed for this camera don't cover enough area to use movements, so you are better off getting 5x4 lenses, and some cheap horseman lens boards from ebay if you are really keen to use movements.

L.

Kelly.ONeill

• 35mm
  • yup thats me
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
Cool thanks for all the helpful info guys  :) I'll definitely look into the VH models and probably just make sure i get horseman backs