Author Topic: My almost darkroom & some idiot questions about it  (Read 2266 times)

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
My almost darkroom & some idiot questions about it
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »
So, I've finally put together my enlarger and other darkroom bits in the cellar to see if they fit. The enlarger is an old-style Gamer 6x6 condenser enlarger. It lacks several bits and bobs. One of these is a bulb. What should I use? The old opal tungsten filament bulbs seem to be hard to find or scarily expensive. They also get very hot (from memory) and make the negatives go pop if left on for too long. Is there any reason I shouldn't use an LED bulb with some sort of diffuser between the bulb & condensor? This would stay nice and cool.

The other thing I lack is a negative carrier. I've got no hope of finding one for this enlarger, so I can presumably kludge something out of cardboard or some such. Francois can you hear me?

Then there's the multigrade filters- presumably I have to get the below the lens type? These seem pretty common, but I'm struggling to find a holder for them. Any ideas?

So close. So very, very close.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: My almost darkroom & some idiot questions about it
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »
looks good!

You can use an LED light if you can do all the wiring - you might want to have a look here: http://www.deadbread.com/crumbs/23c.html

The ilford below the lens kits has its own holder included. One part fits behind the lens thread, then the lower bit that takes the filters clips onto this. It is so much easier than using filters in a drawer and avoids having to handle the gel sheets.

I've heard of people making neg holders with black foamcore board.  Should be relatively easy - no need for accurate edges etc as you can do that on the easel.

looking forward to seeing some prints :)
L.

Terry

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
DS-I'll be interested to see how it goes.  I'm a few steps behind you in the building-a-darkroom project.  Mine will have to be a temporary conversion of the bathroom sort of thing.  I was lucky to pick up an Omega D2 for very little money.  (You can still get bulbs for them fairly cheaply.) I did get a Beseler filter tray and the plan is to make an adapter out of aluminum so it will mount onto the filter bracket on the enlarger.  Still got to make my blackout shade too....

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
I remember in an old issue of Photo Technique magazine, they had converted an old Omega to use the then new CFL type bulbs. It worked despite the long start delay. There's no reason really for the enlarger not to work using an LED bulb. The only reason why enlarger bulbs are so expensive is that they have a very even surface and no visible logo on the top. If you can find an LED bulb of similar output, it will work.

As for the negative holder, cardboard can work fine, as long as it's relatively rigid. It really depends on how the enlarger holds the negative holder. Two of mine use simple leaf springs to put pressure on the steel holder. But my Durst is more sensitive in that area since it relies on the entire enlarger to hold it down (it's a strange design). Besseler use a large lever system so theirs is a bit harder to imitate.

One thing you could do is make one out of bent cardboard to try it out, measure it, draw it using a vector based drawing program like Inkscape or Qcad (they're free) and send the file over to Ponoko to have it laser cut. This would be the ultimate in quality.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
Thanks all. So excited at the prospect of making prints again.

You can use an LED light if you can do all the wiring - you might want to have a look here: http://www.deadbread.com/crumbs/23c.html
Interesting link. Thanks. Presumably I could use a diffused LED panel and keep the condensors to make a hybrid?

looks good!
The ilford below the lens kits has its own holder included. One part fits behind the lens thread, then the lower bit that takes the filters clips onto this. It is so much easier than using filters in a drawer and avoids having to handle the gel sheets.
Hmmm- all the ones ag & silverprint seem to be the filters but no holder. I'm slightly wary of buying them off ebay as it seems like a fair chance they'll be mouldy / grotty. Maybe I should look for a cheap set with the holder and get a new set of the filters.

my Durst is more sensitive in that area since it relies on the entire enlarger to hold it down (it's a strange design)
Mine's like this- the weight of the whole top part of the head is used to clamp it down, & there's a wee lever to take the carrier in and out

One thing you could do is make one out of bent cardboard to try it out, measure it, draw it using a vector based drawing program like Inkscape or Qcad (they're free) and send the file over to Ponoko to have it laser cut. This would be the ultimate in quality.
Good plan. can get it cut out of acrylic to include a cheeky bit of film border too so I can be a cropping snob

The only reason why enlarger bulbs are so expensive is that they have a very even surface and no visible logo on the top.
In the before time in my very skint days I used to use bog-standard opal bulbs and erase the logo print using acetone...

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »
As far as I am aware, all the ilford kits come with the holder.  But probably best to contact silverprint or whoever to check. Neither SP or AG list them as either with or without a holder.

Mine came from Silver print about 5 years ago - they were using the same pic as they do now in their catalogue.

in a box like this:

when open like this:

and the component parts:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:21:14 PM by Leon »
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
PS - from Ilford Photo website:

" The below-lens kit includes a ruby “safe” filter, and a universal filter holder that fits easily onto almost any enlarger or lens."

( http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=117 )
L.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
Cool. Thanks Leon. 'spose I should have done more than just look at the picture.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
Cool !

Nova tanks too :-)

I may have a spare 6x6 carrier from some old enlarger. Will look at the weekend if you want ? I don't require any coins of the realm for it.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
I may have a spare 6x6 carrier from some old enlarger. Will look at the weekend if you want ? I don't require any coins of the realm for it.

That'd be great if you could.

Nova tanks too :-)

Yeah, they've been lurking in my parent's loft since I last had a darkroom (about 10 years ago). I recall they save quite a lot of set-up time and are conducive to casual printing.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »

That is what they do, they kick arse ...