Author Topic: Hello, and need advice (Zeiss Icarette/Polaroid conversion)  (Read 6463 times)

ludoo

• 35mm
Hello, and need advice (Zeiss Icarette/Polaroid conversion)
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »
Hello to everybody, I've been lurking on and off for some time and I love what you all are doing, especially those working with packfilm and on camera building/conversions.

I have been more and more dissatisfied lately with digital (even though I almost exclusively use manual focus lenses and prefer the analogish look of the Foveon sensor), and am thinking of getting back to film. I still have a few 35mm rangefinders, but I'm more interested in packfilm -- a pity I sold my 600se a while ago -- and 6x9 or large format, with the aim of contact printing b&w.

Enough about me, on with the matter on which I need advice. :)

I am converting a Land Camera 100 to manual everything, I have already dismantled the front and, before doing the designs for the new front which will be laser cut by ponoko, I wanted to find the right lens so I have the exact measurements I need (lensboard hole size, film flange distance, etc.). After much thought and scouting on ebay I settled on what I thought was a Zeiss 6.5x9 Maximar, for two reasons: widely available in Europe, cheap as most people go for the larger 9x12 cameras, and its 10,5cm Tessar as enough coverage for packfilm with no movements, and a slightly wider angle of view than the Polaroid's original 114mm lens so the finder will be useable for framing.

I received the camera yesterday, and to my surprise it's not a Maximar but a Zeiss Ikon Icarette 551/2, which natively accepts 120 rollfilm. It's in great shape, the shutter runs fine at all speeds, and I don't have the heart of taking out its lens and am thinking of using it to shoot 6x9. The problem is, I'd have to find another lens for my Polaroid conversion. What would you do?

I'll try to attach a picture (not mine) of the camera, the specs are here.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Re: Hello, and need advice (Zeiss Icarette/Polaroid conversion)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Hi,
building cameras is loads of fun. My work is nowhere near as tidy as others you will see here, but all the conversions so far seem to pretty much work.

If you want to keep the camera below, just look on ebay and find any cheap old folding 120 camera, there are literally 100s, that has a 105mm lens that you can use. Then mount that lens on the back part of the polaroid 100 lens board, and you should be pretty close to the correct focal length. Or as you say below, have a new lens board made.

But I guess you'll still have the same issue of not wanting to trash a nice old camera, so maybe find one that is advertised withpoor bellows or something, and just grab it for the lens.

Although it does seem a shame to take a nice camera apart for bits, there are so many of them not being used, they may just end up in the rubbish if no one buys them, so I think using a bit of it is better than all of it going to waste.

Or, if you don't want to shoot 120 in that camera, you could even put a polaroid back onto that camera like this

So I guess the answer to your question is find a camera you re happy to take apart and get converting! good luck. make sure you pos the results

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
Welcome Ludoo!

Personally, I wouldn't have the heart to tear apart a camera that works well...
Especially when it's as gorgeous as the one you got!

But if you look around, I'm pretty sure you could get an old Kodak folder that takes 116/616 film for a good price. They are designed for 6½x11cm negatives (2½×4¼ inch) so their lens has plenty of coverage for a regular Polaroid.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ludoo

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
Thanks to everybody. I spent a couple of hours tonight reglueing a couple of corners and cleaning the leatherette, oiling the focusing gears which made a loud squeaky noise, and loaded a film. The advance seems to slip a bit sometimes but it looks like I've got a usable, nice looking camera, so the lens will probably stay on it. :)

Francois, the 116/616 suggestion is interesting, I will have a look at the old Kodak catalogs, but if you know of any cameras in particular I should look for fire away.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »
Welcome to the site Ludoo!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
yes, welcome! interesting with more converters here~ :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
Francois, the 116/616 suggestion is interesting, I will have a look at the old Kodak catalogs, but if you know of any cameras in particular I should look for fire away.
I just looked at my stuff and the only one I've got with a shutter with adjustable speeds is the Kodak Senior Six-16... And as a bonus, you get a focus adjustment ;)

But there's bound to be other ones

Like http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kodak-Senior-Six-16-Folding-Camera-Nice-Condition-1937-1939-/190641199510?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item2c6319d996

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Kodak-Senior-Six-16-Folding-Camera-No-1-Diplomatic-Shutter-Original-Box-/390394246787?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item5ae54f7683
Francois

ludoo

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
I just looked at my stuff and the only one I've got with a shutter with adjustable speeds is the Kodak Senior Six-16... And as a bonus, you get a focus adjustment ;)

I have done a quick check on ebay and there are a few possible candidates. Even though cell focusing Tessars like those mounted on the Kodak folders are inferior to unit focusing Tessars like those mounted on plate cameras and "proper" folders like my Icarette. Well, I guess one can't have everything. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
One thing's for sure, it's going to have much more resolution than the original Polaroid lens!
Francois