Author Topic: A shiny new camera :-)  (Read 3932 times)

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
A shiny new camera :-)
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
Okay so it's not really new, but it's shiny for sure, and in absolutely new condition.  Happy!

It's a 500CM with an 80mm 2.8 and a 150mm f4.  Wow this is nice.  I'm just getting to know the camera now but already the negatives are just wonderful, a step beyond the quality I was enjoying before.

Cheers,

Jeff

(who apologizes for the terrible, blurry digipics)

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
Re: A shiny new camera :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
Very nice - I think it should go on the 'share the love board' - whilst I'm watching the thread ;)

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »
Wow!
That is indeed a step up from the Yashicamat!
Can't wait to see some pix from it.
Nice, nice, nice!

You done good man!   :)

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »
very nice,

looks in great cond all right

well wear !

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »
I've always wanted one of those...
Sadly, I can't seem to find one at a decent price (that is one I can afford)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

Hi Francois,

Yes I've found lots of film cameras are inexpensive now, but not this one by a long shot unfortunately.  It was either this, a Mamiya 7II system, or a Fuji 6X7.  Of the three, only the Fuji had a 'reasonable' price.  There are still lots of great bargains out there though.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
I know... but I'm pretty broke at the moment so I guess this will have to wait a bit longer...

Still, I think I'll keep on trying to make the most of my old YashicaMat and the few new toys I got from the Share the love thread :)
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 03:31:32 AM »
I predict a lifetime of fun!  Those are my 2 favorite lenses!  What size extension ring is that in the pictures? 

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 04:44:31 AM »

Hi Francois,

Yes I've found lots of film cameras are inexpensive now, but not this one by a long shot unfortunately.  It was either this, a Mamiya 7II system, or a Fuji 6X7.  Of the three, only the Fuji had a 'reasonable' price.  There are still lots of great bargains out there though.

I often think about this when I see the pricetag on the DSLR of the day: I could buy that, or I could buy the camera of my dreams from my college days.

Unfortunately, I think Francois and I are sharing a wallet.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »
Happy to see I'm not alone :)
Francois

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
I predict a lifetime of fun!  Those are my 2 favorite lenses!  What size extension ring is that in the pictures? 

Thanks Ann,

It's an 8mm.  It makes a large impact on the resulting image so I imagine I'll have to try some other sizes too.

:-)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
I would do anything for one of these but for the prices they go for these days I could buy a new motorbike so I can't really justify it :-( ah well maybe one day

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »
Congrats!

And lucky you got the 150 lens as well. When I got a longer lens for my 500CM, I got the 120 and ever since I've wished I'd gotten the 150 instead! And the 8mm extension tube is great for portraits.

Have fun!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Beautiful kit. I have virtually the same but my 150mm is the silver non-T* version. However.....just wait until you decide you need a wide angle lens  :o

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »
Yep lovely camera got the 500el/m with same 80 mm lens - the quality of the image is stunning, absolutely stunning. In addition yours looks in great condition. A few things worth thinking about

backs - with lightseals needing replacing etc -worthwhile as easy to put new ones in - overlapping frames with the back more problematic but if handy the service manual is out there as a pdf  The backs can be bought for rather silly money or very little (£25 is the most I've paid) the A16 back tends to go even cheaper and you can make a mask for the screen easily and cheaply (bit of acetate and a pen !) I tend to use this for colour

the ext tube - remember to remove lens /tube in correct order or can cause problems

If it jams - see online plenty of unjamming tutorials and can be done fairly easily (just scarey first time )

The Kiev prism finder fits (can be found unmetered as well as average or average + spot) worth it as useful for some shots (and so cheap ! ) the Hasselblad one is very painful ! (but great!)  however makes the camera even heavier

Lenshood -don't underestimate how much the lenses like them (even the multicoated series) if you haven't got one for the 150mm - Chinese replicas can be bought very cheaply

Have fun, great camera and would love the 150mm  !!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:08:11 PM by reuben »

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
Very nice - I think it should go on the 'share the love board' - whilst I'm watching the thread ;)

lol now that would be a LOT of love !!