Author Topic: Collaboration 26 is live  (Read 6298 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Collaboration 26 is live
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:46:02 AM »
February 2012: New Year's Resolution
Lovely stuff. Go take a look: http://www.filmwasters.com/collaborations/v/collaboration26/

Thanks to all the contributors.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: Collaboration 26 is live
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:21 AM »
Very nice series... love the crazy swirl on Lucy's pic.
Well done everyone! :)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
Nice collab.
Sean's is one I should adopt!  Less time behind the desk!
Looking back over them, Ed's reminds me of a Mark Rothko painting, which I like a lot!
 :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:10:59 PM by astrobeck »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
seriously good stuff from everyone. 

Lucy - welcome to filmwasters - a really nice combination of subject, technique and vision.  Very cool.

Sean - you're doing a Masters/ postgrad degree this year aren't you? Don't think you'll achieve your resolve ... the desk will become like a prosthetic extension to your knees.

Paul - I'm with you on the fitness, but did you have to take a pic of Bunhill? I had to walk though there last year on the way from Old Street station to the College of Law in Moorgate for my law exams. I'd only just got over the trauma, and now it's all back after seeing this pic ;) A great place though, lots of interesting graves and friendly squirrels.

Nigel - kudos to you! Not only is this a great portrait, you approached a stranger to get it.  How is that going down - are people generally ok with it, or are things a bit awkward? I wouldn't have the guts to do it.  Nicely done.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
Really excellent collab. Not sure where to start......just a few thoughts

- Play more guitar? Definitely. Some "me" time is easily forgotten about. Go for it Becksy!
- Out from behind the desk more? Why didn't I think about that? 32 years of 9-5 + the stuff I do at home. Go for it mate, it can only do you good.
- Make the most of time in Khartoum. I love travel but there are places where I'm glad to get the hell away from. You have my envy and sympathy in equal measure as that can't be an easy place for a non-local to live. I don't imagine it's a bundle of laughs even for the locals.
- Diane; lovely photo and you've hit on the only positive use for any smoking-related item I think I've ever seen. More power to your elblow...
- Nigel. I can see nothing wrong with the portrait; it's lovely. It's also a weird thing to do, isn't it? I had a go at this a few years back but eventually bottled it when the paranoia about photographers wandering the streets started to make life quite uncomfortable for all concerned.
- Putting your life in boxes. I am so guilty of that and yet I shy away from accepting the fact. Sometimes I find I'm in so many boxes within boxes that it's difficult to see there is any light to run towards. Lovely image.

Just the best collab so-far, IMO. Thank you all again.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Excellent work by all and welcome, Lucy.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
yes i enjoyed that! really fine work there - well done all.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
good work all! and ed, yours is pretty deep this time :o but it's bold, and I like it~

also, I think seans resolution at the end really sums it up. and with the perfect shot to accompany it! I had a laugh ;D
/jonas

Lucy Telford

• 35mm
    • Lucy Telford Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Thanks very much!  My first collaboration and this is my first post :-)  Yeah...I'm getting braver.  Might even manage a self-portrait at some point like the fantastic ones I just saw on the other thread.

Lucy Telford

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:09:07 PM »
seriously good stuff from everyone. 

Lucy - welcome to filmwasters - a really nice combination of subject, technique and vision.  Very cool.

Thanks very much Leon.  I've been quietly lurking in the background since last summer, it takes me a while!

Lucy Telford

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »

Cheers!  Carl Radford & Alex Boyd told me this was a friendly group.  Very glad I joined :-)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
Nigel, that´s a fantastic portrait! And yes, approaching strangers with a camera is not an easy thing to do. Here in Khartoum I am working in a project that it will be about... People of Khartoum. Basically portraits and portraits. Sometimes before leaving home to photograph I would have to gain some will and force myself to do it, on the other is so rewarding and you get to know some great people!! But truth is that in europe is more complex to do. Well, here everybody thinks that I am american and they are not very... well you know.
Anyway, I like very much your portrait  ;)

Lucy, welcome!! Yes this is a very friendly group, you will enjoy it!!  :D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »

Cheers!  Carl Radford & Alex Boyd told me this was a friendly group.  Very glad I joined :-)

It's a really good bunch of folks. Just seen your website. Jealous  :P  ;)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »
Quite brilliant.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »
Thanks very much!  My first collaboration and this is my first post :-)  Yeah...I'm getting braver.  Might even manage a self-portrait at some point like the fantastic ones I just saw on the other thread.

oddly enough i have some difficulty with it here, though if i am out in the desert or hiking somewhere and actually encounter someone interesting, i will ask if i can take a shot and they always say yes. but when i was in japan, i never scoffed at asking strangers for a shot. not everyone says yes but it was an easier envirnoment overall. here people can get pretty angry if you point a camera in their direction.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:38 AM »
Thanks very much!  My first collaboration and this is my first post :-)  Yeah...I'm getting braver.  Might even manage a self-portrait at some point like the fantastic ones I just saw on the other thread.

oddly enough i have some difficulty with it here, though if i am out in the desert or hiking somewhere and actually encounter someone interesting, i will ask if i can take a shot and they always say yes. but when i was in japan, i never scoffed at asking strangers for a shot. not everyone says yes but it was an easier envirnoment overall. here people can get pretty angry if you point a camera in their direction.

My personal experience is that when you are living/travelling abroad you have a feeling of detachment that eases the way of approaching others, and somehow that is perceived by the person approached. and the fact that you are a stranger gives you some degree of ¨forgiveness¨, positive attitude from the subject... Some places of course I would say are easier than others. As extreme examples that I have found Yemeni people absolutely loved to be photographed, and in Congo it was a dangerous affair and so on (In Spain, my homeland, I just do not even try to do street photography anymore... But again is think is the very personal way of how you approach others, which at the end makes it or not, smiling certainly helps  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:12:37 AM by calbisu »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
ohyeah, welcome lucy. I think your shot was splendid~ great use of the effekt of the glass :)
/jonas

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
Nigel - kudos to you! Not only is this a great portrait, you approached a stranger to get it.  How is that going down - are people generally ok with it, or are things a bit awkward? I wouldn't have the guts to do it.  Nicely done.

Guys thanks for the encouragement, another really great collaboration. It's a strange thing, I'm actually really very shy so, yes, I do find it very difficult but I find a lot of similar situations difficult and if I didn't do any of them I wouldn't do anything! This is going to sound like a weird counter-logic but I've sort of got used to being uncomfortable in these sort of situations! Even as I write this I'm not quite sure it makes sense!  ??? What I tend to do is almost surprise myself so before I realise I've actually walked up to someone and asked them, so I have to carry on with the conversation. I really hope I stick with it. I've only taken two shots so far and they were on the same day, so I need to go out again soon before I loose the momentum.

I keep telling myself the worst someone can say is 'No'.  :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
What could be better - sweet monochromes and lurvly washed out colour polos.  I feel inspired and resolved....

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »
A really strong set of images, congratulations everybody.

Excellent ideas well executed.

Mike

Lucy Telford

• 35mm
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
Thanks very much for the warm welcomes and thank you Late Developer for the kind words about my website - it's a work in progress and I ain't technical so plod, plod, plod... ;-)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
Thanks very much for the warm welcomes and thank you Late Developer for the kind words about my website - it's a work in progress and I ain't technical so plod, plod, plod... ;-)

Technical, schmechnical - it's the end results that count..... ;)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
Oh, my little family is at the front page! I am flattered  :)

astrobeck

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
congrats! You have a beautiful family, and little Alma is a doll!

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »
congrats! You have a beautiful family, and little Alma is a doll!

Thanks Becky  ;D

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:58 AM »
Great collaboration!  I"m so inspired by the resolutions, particularly the push to shoot more portraiture.  How I envy anyone who does it.  I find it daunting for one and it's not safe for me to do it around here but I feel a hole in my soul for not getting out there with it!

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »
So when is the next collab? For some reason, "silver" strikes me as a possibly interesting theme. With it's connotations to bw photography, as well as the photographic appeal of shiny things, or aging, etc. seems like it could be fun.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
So when is the next collab? For some reason, "silver" strikes me as a possibly interesting theme. With it's connotations to bw photography, as well as the photographic appeal of shiny things, or aging, etc. seems like it could be fun.
good call! simple but easy to interpret in different ways. I've already got some ideas coming on~
/jonas

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »
Nice.