Author Topic: another pinhole box  (Read 1219 times)

astrobeck

another pinhole box
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:04:42 AM »
I can't seem to stop drilling holes in small tin boxes.....

my latest creation was made from a small tin box painted like a cable car from San Francisco.
It's about an f/159

Old expired Kodak photo paper negative  30 second exposure- developed in some Arista paper developer

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: another pinhole box
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »
I think I have one of those tins somewhere.

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
not to hijack the thread, but anyone ever try the electric-spark method for pinholes?  i read about a guy who hooked up a 9v battery, one lead to a needle and the other to a piece of tin foil, and got them close enough to jump a spark and blow a hole in the foil (the poor man's arc welder).  Apparently the holes would come out around .02mm.

seemed cool enough to try, but feel like f7000 might be a bit hard on the reciprocity failure.  anyone ever tried this?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
no but it should work just fine... though I have doubts 9 volts would be enough to burn a big enough hole in the foil... I would have been tempted to go with a car battery instead. Much higher amperage means a much bigger spark.

You can check the size of the hole using your scanner if you choose to go that route...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
well...actually a 9 volt does have enough juice to burn through thin stainless steel stock...

I hooked up a 9 Volt to a needle and then tried it on some paper thin stainless I had in the workshop.

My attempts are below and as you can see the first one I totally blew and made the hole elongated.
The second attempt was better, but not up to par for what I like my pinholes to look like.  The inside edges are a bit ratty.

I think I'll stick to hand drilling them with tiny needles.
At any rate, it was a fun experiment.
BTW- these are scanned about three times their actual size.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:30:18 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
That looks pretty nasty... I guess it would make some interesting deformations and pretty soft focus...

Maybe using a blu-ray laser would yield better results...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
You've probably already seen these, but I thought I'd mention it:

http://pintoids.com

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
Yes, I have but thanks for re-posting for others.
I have a few pintoids, but prefer cans that are a little bit deeper so I can curve the film plane more.
Pintoids are fun though and easy to carry in a pocket, so having several is nice in a backpack for hiking!

Shot this one yesterday after lunch with Hubs at a cajun place....

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
For years, there was a guy selling NY street photos (touristy stuff) that were pinhole photos he shot using cameras he made out of Kodak film canisters. They were small contact prints he made in his apartment with just a bare bulb (he claimed), matted to 8x10, selling for $20 each. I haven't seen him  around in a long time but he used to sell quite a lot of them.

astrobeck

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »
Yep, that's him. He's actually been pretty nasty to other photographers who try to set up to sell their work, but he's got an interesting gimmick going.