Author Topic: fuji 400H 120 pushed to 3200  (Read 3542 times)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
fuji 400H 120 pushed to 3200
« on: October 29, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Right now I'm sitting in a mcdonalds in birmingham all by myself with my camera bag packed full of stuff, including my rb67. I'm waiting for doors to open at the cathedral round the corner for a laura marling gig which I have been lucky enough to get a photo pass for! Now I have my evil digital but I wanted to shoot some film also. Problem is I ran out of portra 400 which is my go to film for pushing, all I could find in the camera shops was fuji 400h and I was wondering if anyone had ever pushed it as far as 3200 and if so, do you have any shooting/ development tips.

Thanks in advance

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: fuji 400H 120 pushed to 3200
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
Since it's a C-41 film, it should be the same as for Kodak portra... Only color balance will be different.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
Shot it at 1600 in the end. I just wasn't sure if it would behave the same, as you can shoot portra at 3200 and dev it at 800 and get great results.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
Hi Thom.

Union Chapel? How did your shoot go and how did you manage to get a pass to shoot inside during the gig? I'm fancying doing some gig shoots over the winter as there's always a lot of bands touring this time of year. If you have any tips / connections, I'd be very interested.....so long as it isn't for Cliff Richard or Daniel O'Donnell shows  ;)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:38 AM »
it was not the union chapel (I do have a friend who works there) it was Birmingham Cathedral, Laura Marlings whole tour was in cathedrals, I managed to get to two, sheffield (for a solo matinee show, which was stunning) and got the email through about photo pass less than 24 hours before the birmingham gig!

basically if there is an act you want to see/photograph you have to try and get hold of the tour manager. I found Laura Marling's tour managers email on her myspace! so send them a polite email saying you are a freelance photographer looking to expand your portfolio and would it be possible to get a photo pass (I always get stuck on what exactly to say but just say anything as long as it is polite).

I have two more pieces of advice... don't hold your breath, I was so staggered that Miss Marling's tour manager actually got back to me.. unless you have a magazine or some sort of good website behind you you are often ignored. 2nd, keep the night free as you never know when they are going to get back to you... could be 24 hours before (I was lucky but still massively unprepared) could be 2 hours before... could be after door opening time.

anyway I have shot the roll at 1600 and want to get it developed today... not sure whether to not have it pushed at all (like portra) push it 1 stop or 2 stops... any Ideas folks, I really don't know how forgiving this emulsion is and the light was very mixed, her face was light by two spots and the rest of the band were lit by virtually nothing!