Author Topic: Kodacolor x question  (Read 1362 times)

astrobeck

Kodacolor x question
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
I recently acquired an old Ilford Sporti from the UK that had an exposed roll of Kodacolor X in it.

I've read it can be dev'd in B& W chems, so was wondering if any of you have done this and what your results were.

I have no idea how old the film is, (maybe the 70's) but it looks like it's in good shape judging by the backing paper on the roll.

Also any tips on developing would be much appreciated as I'm flying in the dark on this one.
Thanks in advance!

The Sporti had a very sticky shutter which I managed to fix with a small dab of WD-40.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Kodacolor x question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
I know I've had pretty good results putting a roll of C-41 process film through some PQ Universal paper (1+9 if I remember) developer for something like 10 minutes.

It came out extra grainy and quite dense but at least there was something on it :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »
when in doubt, I have used rodinal stand development. specially with old bw films of unknown origin.
/jonas

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
You might try asking whoever it is that does the found films at westfordcomp.com - they seem to have been able to get pretty good b/w results from old kodacolor X.

There's another person who has gotten pretty good color results using a c-41 kit, but I'll have to dig for it, unless anybody here knows/has had success in doing that.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:26 PM »
And there's always Filmrescue International.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
I know C-41 in B&W ends up pretty low contrast and grainy, and i'd guess C-22 would be about the same.  A friend of mine did rodinal 1:50 for 10 minutes and got pretty good results with various kodak (C-41) films.

It's pretty easy to accidentally destroy the film if you try to process it C-41 and get it too hot.  It was meant to process at 75F, and breaks down at 100F.  You might be able to process it C-22 if you get the right chemistry, ferricyanide bleach is pretty easy to make, but I think the color developer uses some weird benzyl alcohol mixture.

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »
Thanks  everyone for the info!
It's good to know the high temp might "kill" the old film...
I think I'm going to try the stand development sometime later this week.
If I get any good results I'll post.

Fingers crossed!

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:16:34 AM »
here it is: http://yarnzombie.net/craft/?p=369  They've mentioned they developed these in C-41 chemicals at room temp I think.