Author Topic: Shooting motion picture film in still cameras  (Read 1254 times)

Randy B

• My Website
Shooting motion picture film in still cameras
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »
Interesting idea, but really pricey

http://www.ecn-2.com/

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
Re: Shooting motion picture film in still cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
Well considering the cost includes processing and scanning, it's really not that bad. Definitely in line with the cost of a pro lab.  Once I have finished my current photo related commitments, i may have to give it a whirl.  Mind you that will probably be next summer :/

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
For low light color shooting, impressive -- though the Portra 400 also was extremely impressive in their comparisons -- up to ISO 3200!

That's my take home message: you can push Portra 400 up to 3 stops with great results.

Also, it's cool to see the leading edge of film technology.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »
Looks pricey - but I guess your paying for the "master artisan crasftman" to dev and scan your work.   

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:41:58 PM »
I'm starting to wonder why Kodak hasn't tried to push ECN-2 as a replacement for the Kodachrome? With a bit of clever marketing, I'm sure it would have worked...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
Looks pretty nice... a bit expensive but a great idea. I've read about using motion film on still cameras before but gave up because of the diferent ecn-2 process.

This guy had great sucess with kodak b&w motion picture film: http://www.project-double-x.org/about.html

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:44:53 PM »
yeah, ive been thinking about this, as I am planning on shooting some 16mm movies over the next year and whilst looking for 16mm filmstock I have stumbled across some 35mm 1000ft rolls on ebay, for next to nothing! Thinking it cant be that hard to wack it in a bulk loader and give it a go. wasnt sure what you would do about development though... until now. I wonder if they will dev and scan hand rolled stuff for a bit cheaper. maybe would give it a go for a paid job like a wedding or something where I could recover the costs.