Author Topic: First film processed through the Mamiya  (Read 1353 times)

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
First film processed through the Mamiya
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:34:28 AM »
I've gotten all of my Yosemite rolls of film back and I've taken a liking to the Velvia 100 and the Velvia 50 is really nice too but I am having problems with my Ilford Pan F 50.  All of my film looked under exposed about two stops.  I had the light meter set at ISO 40 and bracketed from what the meter suggested then adjusted the shutter speed longer for three shots.  All of the color film was fine.  Anone else have issues exposing Pan f 50?  I'm getting some scans done of some of the nice pictures and I'll post some here next week.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: First film processed through the Mamiya
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »
Sounds weird to me, Nubz.

I've used Velvia 50 and 100 (and a whole host of other tranny film) and I'd have thought you'd have had more problems wih that than with a mono print film like PanF. I used to rate PanF at 32 (it was the trendy thing to do years ago  ;) ) but when I use it these days I just dial in 50 in the ISO meter and let rip.

I could be way off beam here but, assuming it all went through the same camera, set corretly, it sounds more like a processing fault and/or old film. I just can't think why you should have problems with PanF. Presumably, you've tried PanF through this camera before?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
my guess would be old film too, if it behaves like that. how did you have it developed?
/jonas

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
without knowing more than you've written...did you have the bellows out? It's an RB67 right? I use to have one and it took a few goes to remember to compensate, in spite of it being written on the camera! Or a filter?
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »

without knowing more than you've written...did you have the bellows out? It's an RB67 right? I use to have one and it took a few goes to remember to compensate, in spite of it being written on the camera! Or a filter?

By the bellows, I'm assuming you are referring to the focusing bellows.  Almost all of my shots were made at infinity since I was shooting landscapes.  Do you have to compensate for the focusing bellows when close focussing though?   I was not aware of that if I am.  I took one macro(ish) shot with Velvia 100 and is was properly exposed and is one of the pictures that I am getting scanned.  I did waste a roll and a half of film because I forgot to readjust the exposure compensation on the Sekonic after removing a filter.   :o

The film was processed in Xtol from the lab that handles all of my printing and developing.  I trust the lab knows how to process this stuff since their livelyhood is a fine art film/reproduction/printing lab that specializes in black and white photography.  I did adjust the exposure for the filters per the recommendations.  My first shot made of a subject was an averaged reading from the Sekonic L 358 then I would bracket 2 or 3 exposures from there towards overexposed.  I used the same technique with the Velvia 100 and Velvia 50.  With the transparency film, the metered shot was the keeper and the others were generally overexposed.  With the Ilford pan F, all of the shots were underexposed.  I bought the film a month or two ago from B&H or Adorama and kept them in he fridge until I had the chance to use them.  I hadn't had a chance to send any film through the camera until now.  I bought the camera in Korea and I haven't found a way to process film there so I have no real experience with the camera or film for that matter.  Film photography is new ground for me.

I have a couple rolls left that I will probably shoot without any filters to eliminate that variable.  I'll probably set the ISO to 32 or 25 as well and bracket from there and see what I end up with.  I only have one week left until I have to return to Korea so my time is running out to play with that.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results so far especially with the blues and greens I saw in Yosemite.  I'm excited to see the scans.  I'm getting hi-res 50mb scans done of two and economy hi-res scans done of the rest. I will have to play around with black and white a lot more to get the results that I am after.  I bought the camera to shoot black and white almost exclusively but so far I am blown away with the color.  ...at least what I see looking through the light box and a loupe.  :)

Thanks for all of the help and the replies.  This is a bit of a learning curve for me but it's exciting too.  The Mamiya is a blast to use as well! 

Marty

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »
Hi Marty.

If you're using Fuji slide film, I suspect you'll find Provia is pretty neutral and true-to-life compared with Velvia. Velvia's rendering of blues and greens is eye-popping.  In my experience, the 100F ISO version has similar blues and green to the 50 ISO version - and reds that err a bit towards a brownish russet compared to the 50 ISO version. Velvia is probably the landscaper's favourite transparency film and has been for years.

I hope they never cease production - especially in 4x5 as I've just got a new Wista and I'm eager to use some Velvia in it and see how they scan on my Epson V750.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
Hi Marty.

If you're using Fuji slide film, I suspect you'll find Provia is pretty neutral and true-to-life compared with Velvia. Velvia's rendering of blues and greens is eye-popping.  In my experience, the 100F ISO version has similar blues and green to the 50 ISO version - and reds that err a bit towards a brownish russet compared to the 50 ISO version. Velvia is probably the landscaper's favourite transparency film and has been for years.

I had a roll of Provia 100 that I was going to try some long exposures with due to its reciprocity failure characteristics but loaded it up thinking it was Velvia 100 then proceeded to destroy it by metering it 3 stops over because I forgot to adjust compensation for the red filter I used on the previous roll.  I didn't bring another roll of the Provia with me unfortunately.  I liked the Velvia 50 as well but I was being a bit too shy with it and only using it under very flat light in the morning and evening.  I should have thrown more at it than what I did.  I did have some nice shots that I am having scanned from the 50 though.  I'm excited to work with all three films more in the future.

Thanks for the reply